TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Getting rid of scars? - January 29th 2011, 03:55 PM

So last year was tough for me and I ended up turning back to self harm but I haven't done it in a few weeks and I'm hoping I can give it up again. I went over a year without doing it before last year.

I'm not really looking for any advice on how to stop, since I know how to, just looking for some encouraging words, I guess.

What I would like to know is how can I make the scars less visible? I have a lot on my legs and with my pale skin they show up really dark and I'm hoping I can make them less visible in time for Summer and I'd also really like to start up swimming but would be too self conscious with scars there.

I know there's things like Bio Oil etc. but do they actually help? They're really expensive and I don't want to be wasting money. Are there any home remedies that people have found to work?

Thanks in advance

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Getting rid of scars? - January 29th 2011, 06:03 PM

Hey, My mum uses bio oil on her kidney transplant scar and it is pretty reduced, so bio oil definately works, but I don't know whether other stuff would work as well. Moisturisers with vitamin E in them are supposed to be good for reducing scars. Also, I've heard that if you buy the vitamin E capsules from the pharmacy and break them open and then rub the liquid onto your scars that can help to reduce them. Also, once the cuts are completely healed (a few months after the cuts have healed), if you get them out in the sun, that can help to reduce scarring, but keep them out of the sun until then as exposing them to sun too soon can actually cause more scarring if I remember last nights embarrasing bodies correctly haha.
This website has some tips on it, I don't know if they work or not, but it's worth trying them :
http://www.natural-cure-guide.com/ho...dies/scars.htm

Hope this helps

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: Getting rid of scars? - January 29th 2011, 11:58 PM

Hey.

That bio-oil stuff does help, since I was recommended it by a doctor when I asked him more or less this very question. It is quite pricey, be suspicious of anything that isn't at least 8-10, but it does work. It might not remove them entirely, but it'll make them far less visible in theory.

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeeAnn_Angela Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sophie

Re: Getting rid of scars? - January 29th 2011, 11:58 PM

For me, mederma worked really well, as did vitamin E oil from rite aid and just normal lotion (I used all three, so I'm not sure that helped the most ) they're not TOTALLY gone, but I can go without sleeves, &c. Besides that, time will make them fade, as well.
  Send a message via Yahoo to DeeAnn_Angela  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Nekokira52 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Grace

Re: Getting rid of scars? - January 30th 2011, 12:41 AM

I also found that if you use bio oil regularly it works pretty well, as well as any kind of moisterizer with vitamin e in itt

Lets eat grandpa!
Lets eat, grandpa!

Commas save lives!

25.01.10 <3

Closed Thread