TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
tate09 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

picking scabs - March 22nd 2011, 02:29 PM

after i cut i usually pick my scabs. picking my scabs hurts so i think i do this to get some more self harm without actually cutting myself. i know it leaves a scar, but i think that picking the scabs is safer than cutting myself again. is this normal?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: picking scabs - March 22nd 2011, 03:48 PM

Yes it is normal. Many people who self harm themselves, pick their scabs. But I would recommend that you don't. Picking at your scabs can cause infections. Leave the scars alone, and let them heal. If you need help on quitting, you can talk to us. Don't be afraid to tell us what is on your mind. Don't think of it as being "safer". You are still harming your body. I don't' want you to hurt yourself. I don't know what you're going through, but I really hope you throw the blades away. Cutting isn't the solution to those problems. I just want you to be safe.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
--.redpanda.-- Offline
Solaris
Average Joe

Name: Calli

Re: picking scabs - March 22nd 2011, 05:11 PM

I know I do the same thing. It is a hard habit to fall out of and I know that I struggle with it every day. I have my left arm wrapped up right now to avoid picking at a huge scab that is already infected. I've been struggling with this since I was 11 years old. It is a habit that is unhealthy, but normal.

I hope that you find the help that you need. If you ever want to talk, I am here and just PM me.

I know wrapping my arm helps. Don't do bandaids. I would rip them off and then pick at the scab, so go for like a cheap wrap that you would use for a sprain. Those help me a lot.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if not both."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: picking scabs - March 22nd 2011, 06:24 PM

Hey there

I'm glad that you have decided to do this instead of cutting for the fact that you're doing it because you're thinking about your safety. It's really important you try to stay safe if you self harm. However just because it might be safer than cutting doesn't mean it's completely safe and it doesn't make it any better. There are still ricks of infection etc which is a concern and the fact is you're doing it because you still want to hurt yourself.

I would say some self harmer's pick at scabs like you do but not every single person. And its something i don't encourage. There must still be something making you feel bad to even think about hurting yourself and you need to try and find a healthy way to express your thoughts and emotions so they don't build up and leaving you so bad to the point where you want to self harm.

You're worth a lot and don't deserve the pain.

Chin up.
Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Re: picking scabs - March 22nd 2011, 09:44 PM

I also pic the scabs, I either re-open the wound before it scabs properly or I wait and then pick them. I think anything to do with self-harm is normal well ab-normal and well if by not picking scabs it is less likely to scar that's always a good thing. PM me if you want to talk! Go in Peace <3

When life gives you one thousand reasons to cry, show life one million reasons to SMILE!

Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
jhor Offline
Average Joe

Name: Water

Re: picking scabs - March 22nd 2011, 11:36 PM

I know what you mean. I think I could stop cutting if I wanted to enough, but picking is something I can NOT stop. Even while I'm picking I'm mad at myself thinking "I shouldent do this! it's gonna leave a nasty scar!! Ugh! Stop!" but I absoulty can not. I'm pretty sure it's normal, and I sometimes feel the same way; it's better to pick then cut again, but I'm really not sure.

I hope It helps to know you're not the only one . . .

Closed Thread