TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_soul Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Relapse - April 2nd 2011, 03:20 PM

I've been cutting for about a year now. I stopped for a while but I relapsed when things got bad again. I don't know how to stop for good and I don't really want to stop, it's just that it's really inconveniant having my wrist covered in scars.
I always where long sleeves as this is the only way I can think of to hide them but I'm going on vacation with my family in about a week and it's going to be really so hot so I won't be able to wear long sleeves, and we're planning to go swimming. What should I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Relapse - April 2nd 2011, 03:32 PM

Hey there.

I'm sorry things are a bit rough for you right now which has led you to relapsing. Although I want to say it's really good that you did stop for a while and thats something you need to remind yourself because it proves that you can beat self harm even if it is hard.

I think you need to come up with a list os reasons to stop self harming. For example:
  • Because of scars
  • Because it's dangerous
  • Other people seeing them and summer on the way
  • Because you're worth more
  • Your wedding day
  • Explaing to your children when you are older
  • You don't deserve it

Those are just a few ides, some of which you might agree with, some you might not. But you don't have to use them, it's just an example. Make up your own. And really think about it. There will be reasons to stop self harming, its just discovering what they are.

As fro the swimming situation perhaps, even if it is a hard thing to do, this is your opportunity to get help. You could sit down with your parents and explain to them how you have been feeling and then explain how you've started self harming recently. If you don't feel you can say it you can always write it down. This will of course help with the swimming situation because you won't have to hide it then. But you could also ask your parents for help. They might take you to a doctor to look in to therapy so that you have someone to talk to about whats making you feel this way and so that they can help you deal with these things in a healthy way.

I know things are hard right now but you ARE worth more than self harm. You don't deserve any more pain that what you are already feeling.

Stay strong, you can do this.

Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightmare Offline
Part time ninja.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Re: Relapse - April 2nd 2011, 05:35 PM

Well, I'd say the fact that you did stop for a while just proves that you can overcome. It's okay that you relapsed, it happens sometimes, just don't let it get the best of you.
I'd definitely look over Jessie's list of reasons and try to make your own (:
As for the scars on your arms, I would put bacetracin and bandaids on them, keep 'em clean and protected and they should heal. Good luck (:

You can't ~Here to help! PM me!!~
take away
my strength

Closed Thread