TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Movie triggered me - April 4th 2011, 01:32 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

At school on thursday we had a sub (my mom) and we watched the movie Its kind of a funny story. Well I didn't know what it was about, and well frankly It scared the shit outta me. I couldnt ask to go to my counselor cuz I would be asking my mom who doesn't know about my sh! I was so shaken up by the time I got to fourth period I was shaking and my heart was racing. I didn't know what to do. When I got home that night I really fucked up and cut all over my arm, and now idk what I'm going to do. I had to watch the rest of the movie on Friday but I prepared myself the night before and It turned out okay. If that happens again what should I do? Advice much appreciated!

Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/10/16

I've been here for 3 years and counting!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
lucynyu101 Offline
'Ryuichi Sakuma'
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kezia

Re: Movie triggered me - April 4th 2011, 03:23 AM

oh my goodness :/ that sounds horrible. I hope you are doing okay. i would say that next time if you can try to close your eyes or look somewhere else? or ask to go to the bathroom and then go to the counceler, just try to get away from it as much as u can in any way you can.

also why were they showing this sorta movie at school?

I hope you are okay and if you ever need someone to talk to im here.
<3 Love and Peace Lucy

Not all scars show, not all wounds heal Sometimes you can't always see the pain someone feels

Last Time I Cut
5/4/2011

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Movie triggered me - April 4th 2011, 05:05 AM

Idk why they showed it especially in choir!!!

Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/10/16

I've been here for 3 years and counting!!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Movie triggered me - April 4th 2011, 05:54 PM

Hi Sarah,

Things like that happen to me all the time. It's annoying as hell, but unfortunately is something to be mindful of when interacting with the world - potential triggers are everywhere. We try to avoid them as much as possible (mainly because, if anything, deliberately triggering oneself is quite unnecessary), but there will always be times when that is not possible. I wonder if experience and exposure can aid some degree of desensitization, but as I almost never watch anything except for the occasional calm and refreshing kiddie program, I wouldn't exactly be able to say. One thing though - each time we are able to have an experience without letting it take over us, the power of that experience will have decreased by some amount for future manifestations.

When the sensations arise, try to just breathe deeply; focus on the breathing, and the awareness of sitting or standing, whichever it may be - the physical contact between body and ground. I find this to be a very helpful way to stay grounded, both mentally and physiologically. After a while of sustained concentration, the response of being triggered may subside a little - usually not completely, but at least enough to carry on with daily life and tasks in the immediate moment. Not responding to the response is so crucial - when we notice we are triggered, and become filled with even more negative sensations such as fear and anger, these feed into the initial response and only serve to strengthen it. Yes, it is innate to react this way, and maintaining any form of awareness outside of this experience may seen impossible - it takes practice and a lot of courage, the motivation for which arises out of an understanding that its alternative doesn't lead to a good end.

Hang in there.
Kaisada

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Adrian Offline
Lali's my Favorite, Forever
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Adrian

Re: Movie triggered me - April 4th 2011, 06:24 PM

Wear a hoodie and take your ipod -if you dont have one -borrow one.
Your set. you dont have to listen to the movie and you can zone out
i suggest downloading Dane Cook- Vicious Circle or something to listen to like that get your mind off the movie completely
  Send a message via AIM to Adrian  
Closed Thread