TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Riddikulus Offline
The magic word... expelliarmus
I've been here a while

Name: Ask me :)

I can't tell them... - April 14th 2011, 09:11 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Sorry for posting here again so soon...

Over the last few days my mom keeps bringing up the topic of Self Harm and then starts shouting about it and asking me if i still do it. I can't tell her I do, It caused many fights and a lot of pain last time. When I say no she starts calling me a liar and digging up my past. I don't know what to do, she makes my urges so much worse; i Cut and ODed yesterday and due to a few people here (thankyou those people, you know who you are) I decided I should go to the hospital; I got one of my cuts closed up, but when they asked me if I had anymore cuts or had overdosed i lied and said no. I couldn't stand to have to stay in there, my parents and boyfriend would have gone mental; they already think i do it for no reason other than attention.

I guess i'm just ranting really, but i don't know what to do anymore.
Advice and opinions would be very much appreciated.

Charli

'Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics'

Helplink mentor 19/03/11
LiveHelp operator 25/04/11
Self Harm Mod 30/07/11
Chat Mod 16/01/12
Chit-Chat mod 7/05/12
General Health mod 13/10/12
Buddy 4/06/12

RIP Peter <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
missmolly Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Teigan

Re: I can't tell them... - April 14th 2011, 09:19 AM

Hun, you need to tell them, i know its really hard, believe me i do, but the only way to move forward is to get help with it and you cna only get help by admitting that you have a problem.

Try just telling your doctor to begin with, they can help you and help advice you on how you can go about telling your mum.

Tell your mum that when she yells at you and brings up your past that it upsets you, because if you dont tell her then she wont know.

Trust me, reaching out to someone for help with sincerly help you, it may not seem like it will now, but it will.. just start with telling one person, and go from there and eventually you will be able to get the help you need.

in the mean time you need to find an alternative to ODing and self harm, just keep trying because eventually you will find something that will help, even if it only helps a little.

Dont give up, you can and will get through this, you just got to keep trying.

xxx

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: I can't tell them... - April 14th 2011, 11:39 AM

Hi Charli,

I just want to say, it's okay to post as many times as you want. (:

Honey, I get how parents can overreact to certain things that their children might do, but it's only because they are concerned. No matter what else we may perceive it as, they only want what's best for their children.
I know it will be probably one of the worst ideas for you, but you've got to tell them. They might yell, they may curse, but they need to know the truth. Otherwise they won't understand what is happening with you and might misunderstand a lot of your actions and won't know how else to react to you.
The best thing to do is tell them. But ask them to hear you out before they start talking to them or else you won't want to talk to them about it anymore. They need to hear you out and understand how you feel. Ask them for their support and help. Tell them you don't need to be shouted at. You already feel horrible without them shouting at you, you don't need to feel worse. They need to understand what you're going through, so that they can change to help you another way.
You need to also look at distractions and find alternatives to SH. As long as this continues, your parents are going to be worried and find other ways of showing their frustration. They also, are unable to cope with you doing this to yourself.
Talk to a counselor and figure out a way of talking to your parents about it. Then you get get through this...together!

Take care of yourself. PM me if you want to talk. <3

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: I can't tell them... - April 14th 2011, 01:39 PM

Charli,

I know just how hard things have been for you, and I want you to know you've got so many people behind you on this. No matter what happens, we'll always be here for you to rant to as many times as you like.

I agree with the above posters, you need to tell someone. If it's not your mum, tell a friend at school, or a teacher who you trust. Also, if you told a doctor, that would help too, as they could refer you elsewhere for some help. People react to things in different ways, so when your mum shouts, it might just be because she's worried. Parents blame themselves for a lot of what happens to their children, I know this through long conversations with my mum about these things.They often want to take the pain away and double it for themselves rather than watch their kids go through these things. If she shouts, calm her, and ask her to help you. She will more than likely be glad you told her rather than holding it in and suffering, and will doubtlessly be happy to help you.

You deserve to be happy, gorgeous. Whatever it takes, and whoever you need to tell, do it so you're happy. Don't cut or OD because you know well how much it brings you down afterwards. You need to start thinking into the future. Think about what would make you happy in 5 years time. Or 10. Push yourself to imagine the best for yourself, and make your dream come true. You have the power and strength to do it, believe it or not, because you're amazing. Never forget that, okay?

Take care, and my inbox is always open for you if you want to chat, and you know that. Keep your chin up, amazing, you're worth it. <3

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

Closed Thread