TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
pologirl Offline
Not a n00b

How? - May 14th 2011, 02:05 AM

So my English teacher is really nice, and I finally sort of trust her. So I want to tell her I cut, but don't want her just to send me go the counsular or call my prents. I know school is almost over but I'd like to tell her but I'm not to sure why. So what do say? "Oh btw I cut just wanted to tell you." I mean how do I do it also? Write and note? Bc I don't know if I can just say it.

Peace...Love.....Swim & Polo!!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
tamz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: How? - May 14th 2011, 02:24 AM

Hey, If you really want to tell your teacher but can't actually say the words you'd be best off writing a note & handing it to her. As you're not sure why you want to tell her, maybe you could write that on the note? Maybe say something like; I'm not sure why I'm telling you this, but I feel like I need to tell someone and I feel like I can trust you. Or something along those lines. Also, I don't know what the exact rulings are but I'm pretty sure she'd have to pass that sort of information on to someone. The rules of confidentiality only go as far as keeping it quiet if you're not a threat to yourself or anyone else which obviously you are seeing as you're telling her about sh. This more than likely means it WILL be passed on to your parents :/ How old are you btw?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
pologirl Offline
Not a n00b

Re: How? - May 14th 2011, 02:50 AM

I want to tell her but I can't have my parents knowing. I'm
17 btw- does that help does that mean they won't tell my parents if I ask
them not to? Grr now if it'll make my parents find out
I don't want to tell her.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
philip123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Philip

Re: How? - May 14th 2011, 02:54 AM

for a teacher that would be hard to hear. however most teachers have to tell when it is something serious like SH. you can find out first if she would. i told my teacher by first going "if a student told u they cut... would u tell someone else?" and when she responded "if a student told me, it means they trust me, so i wouldnt tell" therefor i told her.

Oh yes, the past can hurt. But, you can either run from it or, learn from it

Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn."

- Mahatma Gandhi

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
tamz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: How? - May 14th 2011, 03:07 AM

I googled it and this is what I came up with:
By law, teachers must pass on, to senior staff or to the people/agencies who have responsibility for such matters, information about behaviour or events likely to cause harm to young people.
For all young persons up to the age of 18, the school can inform parents if it seems reasonable to do so. While teachers should not guarantee confidentiality; they are not legally obliged to inform parents about subjects discussed with pupils, if they believe it is not in the best interests of the young people to do so. However, teachers must follow the instructions of head teachers in these situations.

Like philip said, it might be worth asking beforehand.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: How? - May 14th 2011, 03:35 AM

If you plan to do it, writing a letter can make it much easier to tell your teacher, but then again, it might put a bit of stress on you while you wait for a response. I had an English teacher four years ago.. She didn't know it, but she saved me from myself. I wrote her a letter explaining myself and my actions when it came to certain situations, and personally, I thought it went very well. She was supportive, but I trusted her 100% and I knew she wouldn't tell.

If you don't want it being passed on, you have to make sure your teacher absolutely will not pass it on to another teacher or administrator/counselor.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#7 (permalink)) Old
pologirl Offline
Not a n00b

Re: How? - May 15th 2011, 03:28 AM

Thanks i may try and find out first but we will see what I feel like Monday morning.

Closed Thread