TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Okay, ow. - July 1st 2011, 11:48 PM

So I just had about the worst idea I've had in a few months.

Um. I was cutting in the shower and wasn't looking where my razor was going. Now, this is a ridiculously sharp razor that they use for animal dissections in labs; they come individually wrapped and packaged. Anyways, since the razor was so sharp, I have a giant gash maybe 3mm deep in my right thigh. This wouldn't be that much of a problem except that I'm also overweight, so the fatty tissue sort of splayed open, and as a result the cut is gaping and huge.

How do I keep this thing from getting infected while it heals? My house is pretty low on medical supplies (which is horrendously ironic) and I can't get anywhere very easily.

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Theres always someone. <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Nikki

Re: Okay, ow. - July 2nd 2011, 12:25 AM

I don't think there's really much of a way to keep it from getting infected, unless you can manage to get to a store and get something to close it up after applying a disinfectant(I know you can buy a product similar to band-aids which holds the wound together so it'll heal; but I'm not positive on the name...Steri-strips? I think).

♪♫"The mirror only shows
The shell of what's below
You can't go on suffering
The illusion of control
It's time for letting go
And now you know
Now you know"♪♫
'Now You Know' - 2Cents
Things get better.
Always keep fighting.
❤Feel free to PM/VM, or add me if you ever need a friend, or someone to talk to. I'm online quite often.
Add me on FB <--- apparently this is my creeper face.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Okay, ow. - July 2nd 2011, 12:27 AM

I was thinking of applying a dressing with a bit of Neosporin or whatever under it, and washing it once or twice a day. How well do you think that would work?

Also, I will definitely search those strips.

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
bayhorse321 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shoshana (Shana)

Re: Okay, ow. - July 2nd 2011, 12:30 AM

I have heard of something called a butterfly bandage. It is thin in the middle and bigger on the sides It is supposed to keep it together. I did something similar to this a while back and it was an accident but At the hospital they said that would have worked to keep it together. They just glues mine with some hospital glue... weird... Be sure to disinfect though. I hope that was of some help to you. <3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Okay, ow. - July 2nd 2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaminohexanoate View Post
I was thinking of applying a dressing with a bit of Neosporin or whatever under it, and washing it once or twice a day. How well do you think that would work?

Also, I will definitely search those strips.
Eh..it's kinda iffy. It might work, but then again I'm not exactly a doctor.
If you do choose to do that, I'd only suggest you do it as a temporary fix until you can get to the store. Neosporin isn't really meant to be used for long periods of time continually. And I imagine a cut like that will take a bit of time to heal up properly.

Edit:
And I was just looking at the Neosporin I have, it says not to use for more than a week at a time and not to use on deep puncture wounds. Which 3mm isn't that deep, but if the wound is pretty open I wouldnt reccomend it.

♪♫"The mirror only shows
The illusion of control
It's time for letting go
And now you know
Now you know"♪♫
'Now You Know' - 2Cents
Things get better.
Always keep fighting.
❤Feel free to PM/VM, or add me if you ever need a friend, or someone to talk to. I'm online quite often.

Last edited by Intoxicated Brutality; July 2nd 2011 at 12:43 AM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Re: Okay, ow. - July 2nd 2011, 12:52 AM

Hey there, u need to use steri strips, or failing that my dr told me to use selotape or surgical tape. All 3 will work for pulling the cut together. And to keep it clean try to avoid tight Clothes and clean it 3 times a day with a disinfectant spray. I've done this and never had an infection in 3 years. Good luck x

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Okay, ow. - July 2nd 2011, 02:43 AM

Yeah, I think I'm going to need the strips. I'll convince my friend to drive me to a drugstore or something. It's still oozing blood, and this happened hours ago.

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Okay, ow. - July 2nd 2011, 02:48 AM

If you have a bandage of some sort to put on it for the time being, that might be a good idea. Rather than walking around with your leg leaking blood everywhere o-o might look odd.

♪♫"The mirror only shows
The illusion of control
It's time for letting go
And now you know
Now you know"♪♫
'Now You Know' - 2Cents
Things get better.
Always keep fighting.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Okay, ow. - July 2nd 2011, 02:50 AM

Yeah, I did it really high up, but it oozed so much in three hours that it bled through my boxers and even through my sweatpants (!!). I think I'm throwing out these boxers. Jesus Christ.

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Okay, ow. - July 2nd 2011, 02:55 AM

My goodness. Well definitely get to the store as soon as you can. And if the bleeding still continues after attempting to stop it with the steri strips (or other bandage) I would go to the hospital. 'cause if it doesn't stop then there may be something seriously wrong

♪♫"The mirror only shows
The illusion of control
It's time for letting go
And now you know
Now you know"♪♫
'Now You Know' - 2Cents
Things get better.
Always keep fighting.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Okay, ow. - July 2nd 2011, 02:57 AM

No, it's just the adipose (fat) tissue. It has a gigantic number of very thin capillaries (prospective biology major here, so I know a whole bunch of crap) so if you cut fat, it doesn't bleed a lot but it bleeds forever. Hopefully hospital won't be necessary -- my parents don't know that I cut or anything, and it'd be more than a little awkward.

I wish I were in college.

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Okay, ow. - July 2nd 2011, 03:00 AM

Even still, if it continues I'd get it checked out.
Yes, it would be awkward, but it'd likely be just as awkward to explain why there's blood everywhere. :/
Anywho, I hope you get it all taken care of soon. And don't hesitate to PM/VM me if you ever need someone to talk to - I don't mind at all.

Take care

♪♫"The mirror only shows
The illusion of control
It's time for letting go
And now you know
Now you know"♪♫
'Now You Know' - 2Cents
Things get better.
Always keep fighting.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Okay, ow. - July 2nd 2011, 03:08 AM

Yes, absolutely. (I suppose I'm lucky I did it in the shower. I didn't have my glasses on (obviously) so at first I thought I had cut over another cut because it was bleeding a lot and it hurt more than I thought it would.)

I'm good at, uh, cleaning up. That's never been an issue...

And thank you, thank you so much. I may or may not take advantage of that in the near future. You're great. :3

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Okay, ow. - July 2nd 2011, 03:15 AM

Just saying. And even if you are good at cleaning up you'd be surprised at what some parents notice. And trust me, it's sooo not fun.

And no problem dear! helping people is one of the few things I'm good at (or at least so I tell myself )

Good luck

♪♫"The mirror only shows
The illusion of control
It's time for letting go
And now you know
Now you know"♪♫
'Now You Know' - 2Cents
Things get better.
Always keep fighting.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Re: Okay, ow. - July 2nd 2011, 09:02 PM

You can also lean on me if you need to, best of luck x

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Okay, ow. - July 2nd 2011, 10:29 PM

Just to pretty much second this:
Ideally, get a hospital to have a look in case you need stitches.
If this isn't do-able, close it the best you can. Steri-strips and plasters/band aids wont close a healing cut.
Clean it with clean water and antiseptic if you can, then close it and apply a firm dressing. Ideally, you want gauze and a cotton bandage to apply pressure, but I get that they aren't easy to get. If you can get some, adhesive gauze dressings are good - they're like giant white plasters - just make sure you dont get the stick bit on your wound.

Without medical attention, you're gonna want to check it every day or so, apply more antiseptic, and then a new dressing.
If you have it in the US, Savlon Skin Healing Gel is amazing stuff.

Closed Thread