TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CommonChaos Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Name

My sister is self harming - November 28th 2011, 09:03 PM

My sister is 15 years old, I'm 17. She was been cutting herself for months now, if not longer. Should I tell my parents that she's self-harming, or what? She shows me her scars so nonchalantly while laughing about it, and it's so disturbing for me. I just want to cry whenever she shows me stuff like that.

She's my little sister, and I don't want her to be hurting herself.

I just want to help her, but I don't know how.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Filling my panties with candy
I can't get enough

Re: My sister is self harming - November 28th 2011, 09:15 PM

Telling your parents might be best, your sister most likely needs help from a counsellor.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: My sister is self harming - November 28th 2011, 09:28 PM

I'd definitely tell your parents about it. Your sister might not be happy with you for doing it but it's the right thing to do, they deserve to know what she's doing and that obviously something is bothering her. They'll be able to help her and get her the help she needs.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
leavemealone Offline
Everyone's a disappointment
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raewyn

Re: My sister is self harming - November 28th 2011, 09:39 PM

Telling your parents would be the best way to help her. Talk to her and try to get her to see that its a bad thing to be harming herself like this and its not going to help in any way. Her showing her scars to you is a cry for help. Shes trying to get you to see that she cant help herself; but maybe her older sister can

Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Merpop. Online
Under the sea...

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dezmaid

Re: My sister is self harming - November 28th 2011, 10:07 PM

I'm glad you care so much about your sister. Telling your parents is a good idea. This shows that she does need help from someone like a counselor. She may not be happy with it but try to talk to her and show her that them knowing is better for her in the long run.

Come with me
And you'll be
In a
World of
Pure imagination

Send a message via AIM to Merpop. Send a message via MSN to Merpop. Send a message via Yahoo to Merpop.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
she dreams of love.
Outside, huh?

Name: Jessie

Re: My sister is self harming - November 28th 2011, 10:15 PM

Hi there.

It's really lovely that you are care so much about you sister, she's really lucky to have you as a sister.

I do think telling your parents might be a good idea, purely for the fact that they can get her help so she can overcome the self harm and the reasons as to why she feels she needs to hurt herself. Before you just tell them, I would personally sit down with your sister and explain you want to tell your parents and say why and ask her if she will tell them about it. Her being in control of the situation might help her a little so it's good that where possible she takes responsibility for herself. That being said if she refuses to I would go ahead and make your parents aware simply for the fact so she can get help and so they can keep on eye on her safety.

You can also offer to go to the doctors with her to get her help and support but because of her age I assume that the information would be passed on to your parents anyway. You can also let her know about Teenhelp so she can try reaching our for support on here too. If you feel you can, be there for her, let her know you care and you want to help her but remember to look after yourself in this too.

Take care,
Jessie

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: My sister is self harming - November 28th 2011, 10:15 PM

Hey,

Telling your parents would be the best thing you can do for her. You're obviously concerned about her and self-harming isn't healthy. I suggest telling your parents so she can get the professional help that she needs and deserves. Also, she probably won't be too happy with you that you "told on her" so keep that in mind. But she'll most likely come around and realize that you only did what's best for her.

Good luck,
Brittany

Closed Thread