TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~loveisthecure~ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Struggling. - February 12th 2012, 01:51 AM

I've only been "clean" from cutting for four days, but I already really, really want to cut.

Advice/suggestions?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

Re: Struggling. - February 12th 2012, 05:27 AM

There's a whole list of alternatives for when you feel triggered to self-harm, in the stickys in the forums. Just do something that keeps your mind of hurting yourself, something you enjoy doing, rather it's listening to music, drawing, reading, going for walk or whatever.

Have you told anybody about your self-harm? If not I think you should, being able to talk through this is a huge help and seeing a counselor is great because they can help you get to the root of your problem and help you work through it a healthier way!

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Re: Struggling. - February 12th 2012, 05:39 AM

As the user mentioned above, there's a whole list of alternatives. Here's the link: http://www.teenhelp.org/alternatives

Hope everything sorts out.
Feel free to get in touch. Remember, 'm just a PM/VM away.

~Mandy xx

All we can do is Keep Breathing...!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Struggling. - February 12th 2012, 05:41 AM

ONLY 4 days? Honey, this is still my third. You may not think so, but you are doing great.
Writing out how you feel is often a good thing to do. When I feel the urge, I try to avoid even thinking about it. Like Sammie and Mandy both said, check out the alternatives thread, some of them are really great. Have you ever considered the butterfly project? It might be something to try.
Good luck, and you can PM or VM me any time.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.

PM / VM

(#5 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Struggling. - February 12th 2012, 06:33 AM

I'm a few days clean myself and it is hard. Really, really hard. You gotta keep congratulating yourself, though. Four days clean is fantastic. There's no magic way to just jump to a few years clean. Take baby steps--a few hours, a few days, a few weeks. Yes, it's going to suck big time getting there but it does get easier.

The alternatives thread is a great resource. I've referred to it on a number of occasions. My favorite distraction techniques are usually the ones that involve creating something. My reasoning is that if I can turn my negative feelings into something beautiful and positive, then my sadness was for something. I write a whole bunch and I just keep writing, even if it sounds like crap. Seriously, I'll write an entire page and look at it afterwards and be able to salvage maybe half a paragraph of good work. But you need the crappy stuff to get there. So don't get discouraged! This can be applied to whatever your chosen method of creative expression is--drawing, singing, acting, what have you.

If creating isn't really your thing, try exercise. Take care of yourself. Your body is a vessel and shouldn't be the one thing that you judge your value as a human being on. Try to exude positivity and happiness. Whenever you catch yourself thinking nasty, dark thoughts, stop yourself and replace them with something happy. Having a scrapbook or a blog that you use to solely collect happy things on is a great idea. I'm actually about to start one myself. Every time you have a truly great day, write it down in your book or blog about it. Pictures of sunny places and pretty houses and such make me happy, so I plan to include those too. Make it personal and make sure that everything in it makes you feel awesome about yourself. Whenever you want to cut, add to it or read over it. Remember that you were happy at one point in time and you can definitely regain that feeling. <3 If you need to talk, you can PM me anytime!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
~loveisthecure~ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Struggling. - February 12th 2012, 01:35 PM

Thank you all for the advice, I'll take a look at the alternatives link.

Quote:
Have you told anybody about your self-harm?
Yeah, I'm seeing a counselor

Quote:
ONLY 4 days? Honey, this is still my third. You may not think so, but you are doing great.
Thank you

Closed Thread