TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alexis Marie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alexis

just wondering - February 22nd 2012, 01:51 PM

does anyone here think that self harm is stupid? selfish? i asked one of my friends who knows about what i do and she said "stupid yes. i mean your purposely harming yourself. selfish maybe. you've put your friends and family through a lot of heart ache these past few months, yek." if your wondering 'yek' is what she calls me. is that just because she doesn't understand it or not. i would love to hear your opinions on what's going on and if you think it's stupid and/or selfish.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: just wondering - February 22nd 2012, 06:16 PM

I do not think self harm is stupid in the slightest. It is a way to cope for some people. There are better/ safer alternatives of course, but that doesn't make it stupid.

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: just wondering - February 22nd 2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Marie View Post
stupid yes. i mean your purposely harming yourself. selfish maybe. you've put your friends and family through a lot of heart ache these past few months, yek.
Like Alex said, no it is not stupid. And as for being selfish, well, are friends and family are supposed to be here for us without thinking that we are a burden. If someone tells me that I am being selfish, I'll tell them that they don't have to deal with me if they think that. Yes others are going through a hard time because of me doing it, but seriously, just imagine how hard it must be for me if I am doing something so extreme? So yeah, I am not selfish. If they think I am, they can leave me. I don't want their obligation, it just makes things worse. And besides, if they had just paid more attention to my problems earlier, I wouldn't have reached this point. So somewhere, I think, they too are responsible for this.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
ForgetMeNot9 Offline
Muggle
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: just wondering - February 22nd 2012, 10:48 PM

I don't think that self harm is stupid at all. It's an outlet that some people use to handle their emotions. Of course it's not the most healthy way to cope and there's always safer alternatives to this, but I don't think that it makes it stupid or selfish.

Rescue is possible. Love is the movement ♥

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: just wondering - February 22nd 2012, 11:25 PM

I don't think its stupid at all. It is my way to cope with things sure its not healthy. But there was a time where I was considering suicide so for me I think it might have saved my life. Selfish I don't think so. It really has nothing to do with hurting other people at least not intentionally. And like Childish Giggle said if your friends would have been there for you maybe you wouldn't have had to find a way to cope with it all.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: just wondering - February 23rd 2012, 02:18 AM

I don't think it's stupid at all,
then again I have self harmed before.

I haven't in awhile, mostly because I've found safer alternatives.
But I don't think it's stupid..

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: just wondering - February 23rd 2012, 02:23 AM

For me my parents dont know I cut. Though they have there suspenions that I may be doing it. Its not stupid even though some people would say its stupid and that is hurt ful when they say its stupid. Its a way for us to cope to find relief. Even though cutting should not be the answer I know. I just gave up on trying to stop and I dont cut a lot any ways I barley do. Your friend just doesnt understand alexis thats all. Its great you open up to her and told her about your cutting but if she says its stupid. I would find another friend to tell you cut that will actually support you instead of hurt you by saying its stupid.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Alexis Marie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alexis

Re: just wondering - February 23rd 2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri View Post
For me my parents dont know I cut. Though they have there suspenions that I may be doing it. Its not stupid even though some people would say its stupid and that is hurt ful when they say its stupid. Its a way for us to cope to find relief. Even though cutting should not be the answer I know. I just gave up on trying to stop and I dont cut a lot any ways I barley do. Your friend just doesnt understand alexis thats all. Its great you open up to her and told her about your cutting but if she says its stupid. I would find another friend to tell you cut that will actually support you instead of hurt you by saying its stupid.
she is really supportive though. she was the person who got me off of drugs and would just comfort me when i was crying. i do have another friend who i tell but then again I'm obligated to, because of a thing we call 'the best friend promise' which is just us saying that we must tell each other anything no matter what. so i tell her.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: just wondering - February 23rd 2012, 11:25 PM

I never thought of it as stupid even before I started selfharming. Not really selfish either. When one of my friends first confessed to me about selfharming, I was scared and confused so I had her explain it to me more. I didn't think it was stupid, but I couldn't truly understand until I ended up selfharming as well.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: just wondering - February 24th 2012, 03:02 AM

Thats great you have a frined like that. As long as she keeps things confidential thats good.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: just wondering - February 24th 2012, 03:31 AM

Well I guess I'm going to be the first one here to say that, yes, I think it's selfish and stupid. I did it for 4 years, and I've been clean for 2.

Closed Thread