TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SM13 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Question Why won't the urges go away already? - March 15th 2012, 03:50 AM

Today is day number 51 of no cutting which I by biggest accomplishment because I used to cut multiple times every day. I thought that by the time that I was this long without cutting that the urges would have almost gone away. Although they have lessened some, I still get a lot of strong urges and temptation to cut (like multiple times a day). Why won't the urges and thoughts about it go away? When will they most likely fade away completely?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Why won't the urges go away already? - March 15th 2012, 03:59 AM

51 days, wow!

First, the issue isn't so much the urges, it's your response to them. That's what changes, and it already has. Can you hear the thunderous applause in the back ground?

To make the urges go away, you;d need to first address the causes of them, what's stressing you to the point of needing to cut. the cutting is a symptom of the underlying stress. You address the cause (the stressors) and the urges fade.

But, the real success is controlling the behavior. Take a bow!

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SM13 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Why won't the urges go away already? - March 17th 2012, 04:01 AM

If I scratch my skin but don't actually cut it with anything is that still considered caving in and breaking my cut free streak of 53 days?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
LoveRainingDown Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brie

Re: Why won't the urges go away already? - March 17th 2012, 09:26 PM

First off, congratulations on going this long . As for the urges, as long as you focus on something else when you get them then you will be alright. I know it is hard and I know you want to give in but you can stay strong. The longer you go, the more you will believe in what you are trying to accomplish. Good luck

Life is too short to waste it on people who don't treat you like you deserve

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Why won't the urges go away already? - March 20th 2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM13 View Post
If I scratch my skin but don't actually cut it with anything is that still considered caving in and breaking my cut free streak of 53 days?
You must acknowledge the fact that you have been cut free for 53 days and not SH free. Acknowledging it will make you work towards stopping that too. You could try wearing gloves so that you don't scratch yourself and cut your nails as short as possible. But congratulations on 53 days without SH! It is not a small feat and shouldn't be treated lightly no matter what.

Like Dr. Bobby said, concentrate on the underlying issues that are making you do this. Try to resolve them. The urges will go away only and only when those issues are resolved. So confront them. Take help from outside if needed. Writing down can help you analyse better too as it helps to clear your thoughts.

PM/VM me anytime if you want to talk.
Take care and stay strong <3

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Closed Thread