TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Des1615 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Des

How do I convince my parents that I don't cut anymore? - March 17th 2012, 04:19 AM

so how? I haven't cut for a month or 3 weeks and they are healing. They don't get why I cut too, They think that I am doing it for attention and I'm not I've been through a lot of pressure. But I am self harm free! I feel free. but do my arms look like I been cutting like are they fresh or are they healing and old. I just bought bio oil does it actually work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scars.jpg (7.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg scars2.jpg (7.8 KB, 24 views)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Boobear Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sara

Re: How do I convince my parents that I don't cut anymore? - March 17th 2012, 07:14 AM

Try to like, really sit down and talk to them and explain why you used to cut, and that you have stopped. They are probably just very worried about you and are a bit chocked over the fact that you cut.
It's great to hear that you have stopped, it's really strong of you
Someone told me that it works, but idk. If it doesn't you can try cocoa butter, I've heard that that works too

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Des1615 Offline
Average Joe

Re: How do I convince my parents that I don't cut anymore? - March 17th 2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobear View Post
Try to like, really sit down and talk to them and explain why you used to cut, and that you have stopped. They are probably just very worried about you and are a bit chocked over the fact that you cut.
It's great to hear that you have stopped, it's really strong of you
Someone told me that it works, but idk. If it doesn't you can try cocoa butter, I've heard that that works too
Okay thanks, I really hope that they understand!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: How do I convince my parents that I don't cut anymore? - March 17th 2012, 09:55 PM

I agree with Ella, you just need to sit them down and tell them that you're okay now, you're not cutting anymore and you haven't done for however long it has been and if you want to, you can explain why you did it when you did so they can understand why better and hopefully not see it as you seeking attention.

As for bio oil, I've been told that it does work but I haven't used it myself or anything like that so I'm not 100% certain about that.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
crazychick10793 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Vicky

Re: How do I convince my parents that I don't cut anymore? - March 21st 2012, 08:31 PM

Do you see a therapist? If not, see one and maybe even talk to one as a family to figure out what to do.

Your arms look like they are healing which is good, as for scars,time is all I know. mine are all faded and can only be noticed if you are actually looking for them.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: How do I convince my parents that I don't cut anymore? - March 21st 2012, 08:35 PM

Well, I can tell you that Bio-Oil works somewhat. Mind you, when I used it, it was on old scars (like, at the time they were at least a few months old), so I probably didn't get the best results, but there was some change. So, it'd definitely be worth it to try it out (as long as there are no open wounds/scabs, if so avoid those areas for now), and you may have better results on fresher marks.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: How do I convince my parents that I don't cut anymore? - March 21st 2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychick10793 View Post
Do you see a therapist? If not, see one and maybe even talk to one as a family to figure out what to do.
^This.

Hun, there are a couple issues here. The first is cutting: Why you do it, how yo';ve stopped, and what you'll substitute for it when you get stressed out. The second is the amount of time you've stopped. Huzzahs for going the 3 weeks, but that's not very long..yes, i know it's an accomplishment to go just one day, but 3 weeks isn't long enough to confidently state you've put it behind you. And lastly, and most importantly...your folks not appreciating the real significance of this self destructive behavior.

The solution to all three is therapy. By working with a doc, you address all three so you can finally put this behind you. Tell your folks you need a doc, tell the school counselor, tell whatever adult you trust who can intervene on your behalf what you've been doing and show them you arms.

And until then, don't cut! It solves nothing, and creates even more problems than you already have.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Des1615 Offline
Average Joe

Re: How do I convince my parents that I don't cut anymore? - March 23rd 2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Bobby View Post
^This.

Hun, there are a couple issues here. The first is cutting: Why you do it, how yo';ve stopped, and what you'll substitute for it when you get stressed out. The second is the amount of time you've stopped. Huzzahs for going the 3 weeks, but that's not very long..yes, i know it's an accomplishment to go just one day, but 3 weeks isn't long enough to confidently state you've put it behind you. And lastly, and most importantly...your folks not appreciating the real significance of this self destructive behavior.

The solution to all three is therapy. By working with a doc, you address all three so you can finally put this behind you. Tell your folks you need a doc, tell the school counselor, tell whatever adult you trust who can intervene on your behalf what you've been doing and show them you arms.

And until then, don't cut! It solves nothing, and creates even more problems than you already have.
well I have been seeing a counselor and haven't really talked about it, he knows but not really talked about it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: How do I convince my parents that I don't cut anymore? - March 23rd 2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des1615 View Post
well I have been seeing a counselor and haven't really talked about it, he knows but not really talked about it.
I know how that is. It is the same thing with my counselor, she knows and until recently, we discussed it but I would change the topic to something else or want to discuss something different before.
But I realized something and have stopped doing that. I realized that I need help (and as annoying as that may be to admit and as scary of a thought as it is: it is true.)

The thing is, you have to start talking about it. As uncomfortable as that discussion may be and all of the questions you may get asked, discussing it and letting him help you would be a great thing to start doing.
You could tell him you want to discuss your cutting or you could give him a note saying you want to. Or, if you write, you could give him any writing you have that is about how you feel or your cutting so that he can read it instead of you having to explain everything on your own with no help.
If you are worried he will overreact or react in a way you do not like, you don't have to be. He has probably seen a lot of other people that cut and helped them too.
Quitting cutting isn't easy but it definitely is possible and I wish you well at doing this and hope everything goes well for you.
Also, congrats on the long time without SH, that is a huge accomplishment for just beginning to quit and I hope you continue to do so awesomely!

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread