TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Simon

Question Is this normal?? - April 1st 2012, 05:37 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I don't know if it's normal for people that SH to think of suicide or not. I'm pretty sure I'd never do it, but a long time ago I was pretty sure I'd never want to cut myself. I don't know why, but sometimes I sink into a bad mood that is different from how I feel when I want to SH, and I don't know how to shake this. Today I thought about how crazy it is that I used to be such a different person.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SM13 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Is this normal?? - April 1st 2012, 02:28 PM

I think that people who SH do it for all different reasons. Some get suicidal thoughts and some don't. I know how you feel because I used to be so genuinely happy then I sunk into depression. I never thought I'd get into SH but then as it got worse I did but I never thought I'd be contemplating suicide but now I am. I think the longer these types of things go on the lower and lower one gets.

It is really important to talk to a trusted adult about your SH because the longer you wait to get help the longer it will take to recover. If you don't feel comfortable talking to a parent you could go to a school councilor or favorite teacher or aunt or uncle or close family friend or if you are religous a leader at your place of worship for help. You could also check out the alternatives thread. Not all the things will work but there should be a few that work fir you.

About suicidal thoughts. This can be harder to talk about than SH because it is an even more serious matter. Whatever adult you go to for guidance is a good person to talk to as well. If you ever need anything feel free to PM me any time

Best Wishes
~SM~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rosy

Re: Is this normal?? - April 2nd 2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreThanMeetsTheEye View Post
I don't know if it's normal for people that SH to think of suicide or not. I'm pretty sure I'd never do it, but a long time ago I was pretty sure I'd never want to cut myself. I don't know why, but sometimes I sink into a bad mood that is different from how I feel when I want to SH, and I don't know how to shake this. Today I thought about how crazy it is that I used to be such a different person.
I think that some people who self harm have no intention of commiting suicide, but that doesn't mean that some don't have suicidal thoughts or moments when they consider it.

You are still the same person that you used to be, you've just been through some harder things now.

I suggest talking to somebody you trust, like a friend or family member. You don't even have to tell them you feel suicidal; just, if you're having a suicidal moment, walk up to them and start a conversation. It's your choice if you want to tell them or not; sometimes just talking to another person can make you feel better.

Hope this helps

Be like the birds: sing after every storm.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread