TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Struggling - April 10th 2012, 08:19 PM

I'm really struggling to not self harm tonight. I haven't self harmed in about 3 weeks and I've been throwing myself into work and other distractions to try and keep the urges away. Tonight it is just not happening though. I've been to see my mum, I've been food shopping, I've cooked a healthy dinner, I've watched TV, read a book, done some homework for DBT and had a shower since I finished work 6 hours ago and I can't think of anything else that I can do right now. I've had a glass of wine to try and relax a bit and it has worked a bit, but I don't know what to do now. I have my razors ready. I live on my own, so no more distractions now. I am going to have to give into this soon. Does anyone have any ideas? I can't throw the razors away because it causes me huge amounts of anxiety not having them around. I just don't know what to do :/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Struggling - April 10th 2012, 08:58 PM

I cut and it made me feel better, but I want to cut again. It seems that the longer I go without self harm, the more intense it is when I give in to the urges. I seriously want to slash my arms to pieces. How do I make the urges go away? I try distractions and they work temporarily, but how do I get rid of them completely? I don't want to spend the rest of my life distracting myself.

Last edited by Ella.x; April 10th 2012 at 10:54 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Simon

Re: Struggling - April 10th 2012, 11:31 PM

I'm not sure if the urges will ever stop. I'm always relapsing and i don't always feel guilty about it. The only thing that helps me is when I think of the people I love most and how they wouldn't want me to do it. I believe there is a post on here about alternatives on here. I find the Butterfly Project to be helpful. You could always talk to someone, or try to find a way to get your feelings out there.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Struggling - April 11th 2012, 11:58 AM

I've tried a lot of the alternatives listed on this site and sometimes they work, but I get these obsessive thoughts and urges around self harm and suicide. I start believing that the people I love will get hurt if I don't hurt myself, so it feels like I have to self harm to protect the people I love. I tried the butterfly project several times when I was younger, but it never really seemed to work. I dunno, I've been cutting for 7 years now. Maybe I'm never going to stop.

Closed Thread