TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
vergo97 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Jabs - April 16th 2012, 03:30 PM

I've got to have some vaccinations in about a months time for a school trip I'm going on. The problem is, I have scars on my upper arm where I'll get the jab, and I've got some on my lower arm too. Do you think they'll mention anything? I thought the scars would have healed by now, but they haven't any they are two months old, so I don't think they will be much better in a few weeks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ajmurnane Offline
Ajmurnane
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Re: Jabs - April 16th 2012, 10:05 PM

Hello. I have had a few people experience this problem. First of all I suggest you start applying Bio-Oil or something of that sort until your jab. Most of the time in my experience if it is a nurse they usually don't say much but just ask 'are you getting help for that' and if you are you say yes, if not they will ask if you would like some help and contact someone.
This may just be a blessing in disguise to get the help you need.
Good luck to you and PM me any time!
Alex

Remember, you can never change the past, but you can learn to live with it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
vergo97 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Jabs - April 16th 2012, 10:30 PM

Thanks, I'll see if I can get some bio oil tomorrow. I suppose it's not the nurse that I'm really worried about, it's my mum being there. What if the nurse starts talking about it to her?

I'm not getting help, I keep thinking it's not that serious, it's not cutting it's scratching.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ajmurnane Offline
Ajmurnane
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Jabs - April 16th 2012, 10:33 PM

It's a good idea. That's what my therapist suggested to me before I went on holiday along with some foundation! Maybe you could say to your mum that you'll be ok in there on your own! Or maybe even try and get a quick word with the nurse and see if she can subtly tell your mum to stay outside! In all honesty anything that is inflicting pain upon your self is in need of help! Just a question does your mum know about you self harm?
I would maybe suggest going to a school councillor or even going to your GP and asking if they can sort some kind of help out

(#5 (permalink)) Old
vergo97 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Jabs - April 17th 2012, 08:43 PM

I'll see if I can go in on my own, I've not had jabs before (other than when I was a baby) so I don't really know what it's like.

I don't want to tell anyone about my self harm because I feel like it's not really important at the moment, and it's a stupid reaction.

My mum does know, we haven't really discussed it but she did just casually say I should stop self harming. I denied that I was but she said, how else would I be getting all the marks on my arm.

my school doesn't have a councillor, it has a school nurse though.

How would I get help from my gp?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ajmurnane Offline
Ajmurnane
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Jabs - April 17th 2012, 09:36 PM

I think thats a good idea to see if you can do that. I think you would definatly feel more comfortable.
I really would recommend that you tell someone about it. When my mum told my school i hate going to counselling but in all honesty those people have saved my life. I truely believe i wouldent be here if i hadent been forced to go to those meetings! Like i have said if you are deliberatly hurting yourself then you need help. Everyone needs help at some point in their life, we just have to accept it.
I know from my mums reaction that it isnt something they want to talk about and dismiss the issue. Maybe speak to your mum about the counselling and see her opinion on it.
If it has a nurse then they can also help. Most GP's will assess you on the issues and can get you to see a therapist or a councillor somewhere in your region. They will offer you as much help as they can. PM if you like, hope your ok.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
vergo97 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Jabs - April 17th 2012, 09:53 PM

I suppose it's not the getting help that I'm worried about, it's my parents having to be involved. Even though my mum knows, it would still be really awkward to have to talk to her about it, and if I tell someone at school they will have to tell my parents.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Ajmurnane Offline
Ajmurnane
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Jabs - April 17th 2012, 10:34 PM

I know what you mean. I was exactly the same and still am the same. School told my parents and they didnt really do much just ignored it. now when i attend the clinic my parents never come with me and dont want a thing to do with my recovery! If there is one thing i would persuede you to do, its to go and get help...please! for your own sake!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
vergo97 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Jabs - April 18th 2012, 04:27 PM

My english teacher asked me today if I was ok and if there was anything she could do. I almost said yes, but I didn't. I said I was ok. I just don't want all the teachers at school to know if I tell someone. If I knew that they wouldn't tell other people (other than the school nurse) then I might do it. If I ask her not to, would she still have to tell people?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Jabs - April 30th 2012, 11:50 AM

Hi Emma,
I'm not sure how things are in the UK but I know here in the US teachers are required to tell nurses or guidance counselors about things such as self harm.
I think you could tell her you want to talk to her about something and then ask her if you do she will have to tell someone other than the nurse.
If she says yes then you make the choice to get her help or thank her for letting you know.
Also, I'd think having someone at school tell them would be easier than having to let your mom know by yourself.
I hope all goes well for you.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread