TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Teddy Bear Offline
Soft and loveable! :3
Average Joe

Name: Ian

ADDisaster! - April 25th 2012, 01:17 AM

I'm so tired of being so slow! I take hours doing simple things that others can do in minutes! And they get better grades than me! It's not fair... I try so hard and I get nowhere. I used to be able to get homework done so easily, but now it feels like I'm under a mountain of it, when I'm really not. I'm so sick of this. I never get to do anything I want. I'm always up so late at night on homework while others are fast asleep, I throw up sometimes because I'm SO stressed out and sleepy. I guess I'm just not good enough to be happy...

1.)My first and middle initials spell "it".
2.)My first and last initials spell "is".
3.)My first, middle, and last initials all spell "its".
4.)Say my first name, then my middle initial. Ian-T sounds like TNT.
BOOM!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Teddy Bear 
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 862187 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
OmNom Offline
Green Candy Eating Cutie
Junior TeenHelper

Re: ADDisaster! - April 25th 2012, 01:29 AM

Ahhhh not gonna comment on the fact that I totally started a fad here with my thread 'my ADDilemma'. Yours is clever :P

Anyway, I Know how you feel. My add is pretty sucky and medication isn't working so I'm stuck lost in class not understanding any of the crap comin out of my teachers mouth and my grades SUCK. trust me you'd look like Einstein compared to me. I really have been struggling
Lately so I know how you feel. Unfortunately the most you can do is just keep pushing yourself and try your best. Hopefully your parents understand.

PM me if you need anything Except ice cream. I never share my ice cream

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Teddy Bear Offline
Average Joe

Re: ADDisaster! - April 25th 2012, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBird View Post
Ahhhh not gonna comment on the fact that I totally started a fad here with my thread 'my ADDilemma'. Yours is clever :P
I liked what you called it because it completely catches the problem, so I called my problem something along those lines. But anyway, My grades aren't bad, but how hard I have to try to keep my grades how they are basically isn't worth it. I've thrown up sometimes from the nasty combination of pure stress and sleeplessness. What upsets me the most is watching some people not try at all and get around perfect grades all the time and then go do whatever they want while I'm crying myself to sleep every night because I'm so afraid of school and what my teachers might assign me next.

BOOM!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
OmNom Offline
Green Candy Eating Cutie
Junior TeenHelper

Re: ADDisaster! - April 25th 2012, 11:13 AM

For sleep problems I take Melatonin. Over the counter (is that how you say non-prescription?) vitamin or something that they like to give to ADDers like us... It really works.
Don't let school get to you like that. Are there tracks or levels of classes that you can maybe move down one? It just doesn't sound like your HEAlTHy with all the work and stress...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Raining Glitter Offline
Average Joe

Re: ADDisaster! - April 25th 2012, 01:46 PM

Hey there!

I know what you mean. I'm 18 and I just got diagnosed with ADD last year. At the beginning of this school year (I'm a senior) I finally got the accomindations that I deserve. Up until junior, I had nothing and needed to use my own studying techniques to get through school because I wasn't diagnosed. And you know what? I was in honors and advance classes then too. ADD does not make you stupid and you are highly intelligent! I know it is a struggle to get through your homework, but believe me, it actually makes you more intelligent. Not only do you learn the same material as the other kids, but you also develop good studying skills and work habits. Those aren't skills you can develop through studying five minutes before class and not doing your homework. I have a lot of friends who do stuff like that and barely get by, but that's what they do, barely get by, and college isn't going to be a Cakewalk. You know, having add might make you more open minded, determined, a hard worker, and patient. Those are all good skills to have in the real world.

Don't worry, I know you can do it! Whaaat kind of accomindations do you have? I know I get extended time on tests and homework, I just need to ask. Don't be afraid to use your accomindations! They are there for a reason!

I'm just wondering, what type of learner are yo? Imagery, auditory, ect? What subjects do you learn best in and what is your favorite subject? What are your study habits?

Maybe I can help you figure out a different approach to your schoolwork. I think ADD is less a "disability" as in it doesn't disable you, it's just a different prospective to learning because it involves different learning styles than the standard education system that we have in place.

With yur stress, that might be from your schoolwork, but it does not mean you should give up directly in a better education. Learning disabilities or not, we all get stressed from schoolwork. You just need to figure out how to handle that stress in a more healthy way. I'd suggest maybe after school try going for a run or doing another type of cardio activity. Exercise is a great stress reliever! It takes all that negative tired feeling and put toward something healthy. Plus exercising allows your body to release a neurotransmitter called serotonin that gives you that happy good feeling! And, research has proven that physical activity before doing schoolwork allows people to do better and focus better on their schoolwork.

Excersizing might also help your sleeping problem. Not only does is relieve stress, it might make you more tired later in the day so you could go to bed earlier. What I also noticed is that my ADD is worse when I'm sleep deprived.

Eating healthy can help a lot too. Medications can help, but I feel there are healthier natural methods to try first and medication should be a last resort effort to give you the final boost. Sometimes just eating the right food and the right vitamins can aid you against your ADD disability.
Click here for info on ADD diet

Sometimes all you need to do is sprinkle a little glitter on someone's raincloud to blend them a rainbow.
Having a bad day?
Need some glitter?: Look, Listen, & Love
(note: I do not own the first two)
PM me ANYTIME if you want to talk!
I'll listen. You are not alone.

Last edited by Raining Glitter; April 25th 2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Teddy Bear Offline
Average Joe

Re: ADDisaster! - April 25th 2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBird View Post
For sleep problems I take Melatonin. Over the counter (is that how you say non-prescription?) vitamin or something that they like to give to ADDers like us... It really works.
I actually do take melatonin every night.

BOOM!
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
OmNom Offline
Green Candy Eating Cutie
Junior TeenHelper

Re: ADDisaster! - April 26th 2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Bear View Post
I actually do take melatonin every night.
And youre still having sleeping problems? Humph. Are you taking the full 3MG pills?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Teddy Bear Offline
Average Joe

Re: ADDisaster! - April 26th 2012, 08:33 PM

Oh no. I'm sleeping fine. My homework just takes me so long that I can't get to bed at a reasonable time.

BOOM!
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
OmNom Offline
Green Candy Eating Cutie
Junior TeenHelper

Re: ADDisaster! - April 27th 2012, 03:46 AM

Sorry. Must've misread.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Raining Glitter Offline
Average Joe

Re: ADDisaster! - April 27th 2012, 04:11 AM

I noticed you said you stayed up all night doing homework?

When do you normally start yors and where do you normally do it? I know if I go on the computer or do it near a TV, it takes hours to do my homewor because I get distracted. Sometimes to fix that problem, you eliminate possible distractions. Doing it in a front room, kitchen, bathroom, basement, outside, basically anywhere with less distractions might help. If you feel like you can't find an area in your house like that, maybe try staying after school or go to a local library to do your work. that way you focus better, learn more, and have more time to relax and sleep!

Sometimes all you need to do is sprinkle a little glitter on someone's raincloud to blend them a rainbow.
Having a bad day?
Need some glitter?: Look, Listen, & Love
(note: I do not own the first two)
PM me ANYTIME if you want to talk!
I'll listen. You are not alone.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Teddy Bear Offline
Average Joe

Re: ADDisaster! - May 1st 2012, 11:16 PM

Today, I only had two little assignments that normal people could probably do in about 30 minutes to an hour. It took me three hours... I'm gonna fail... I'm gonna fail and there's nothing I can do about it!

BOOM!
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
OmNom Offline
Green Candy Eating Cutie
Junior TeenHelper

Re: ADDisaster! - May 2nd 2012, 03:28 AM

Hey don't get overwhelmed or frustrated. The last thing you should do is put more stress on yourself. Break down the work into manageable chunks, breathing methods, etc. I found some great articles online on how to cope with ADD. Just google it and you'll find some.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Re: ADDisaster! - May 2nd 2012, 09:39 AM

Hey there Ian

Are you recieving extra help at school, perhaps back-up classes? Also, if homework is taking you longer due to your ADD then you should be getting extra time.

Who can you talk to as school? Maybe your school has staff members who soley help students such as yourself?

Take Care xx

I'm a superstar because I do pageants!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
medic2013 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Amanda

Re: ADDisaster! - May 6th 2012, 12:51 PM

I know how you feel. While everyone else in my classes have completed their things for their final exams, i'm still working on mine. I was up all night lastnight working on it. I work my butt off and I still have trouble passing a test when everyone else can go in and take it and pass with a 80 or 90. I just foundout that i had ADD in Novemeber and they said that i've had to have it a really long time. They had put me on medication and it seemed to help at first but now, i cna't tell that its helping.

Closed Thread