TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
RollingOn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jazz

Permenantly Attached - September 28th 2012, 08:03 AM

So, last September, the 26th to be exact, I was paralyzed from the top of my chest down due to status epilepticus. I recovered a lot of my upper body movement (except the tips of my fingers). I had a spinal stroke as a result from the lack of oxygen because of the seizures. I am completely paralyzed from the middle of my stomach down.

Why do I write this? Well, I write this to explain how difficult things became for me. I struggled in the beginning. I had to learn how to move again, I couldn't pee or you know, on my own. I had no control of anything below my last rib.

Being an x-martial artist, the paralysis came to me as a huge shock. I am a big adrenaline junkie and the thought of not being able to go and be extreme, tore me apart.

This occured while I was in my first semester as a freshman in University. The stress was unimaginable. But I pulled through. I learned of WCMX (adaptive skateboarding) through youtube. I am now one of two women in the entire world who skates in my wheelchair.

Shredding, slang for skating, has become my outlet. When I get depressed over my situation, I grab my helmet and take to the streets. I have come so far to look at stairs and see them as merely a toy to play on, not an obstacle. Curbs are not barriers, they are fun.

I am not going to sit here, no pun intended, and say this is all fun and games, becasue that would be a lie. But I will say it has made me a better person, a stronger person. It has shown me how trivial my past concerns were. It has given me the reality check I have always needed.

I guess I post here to offer my support to those currently overcoming obstacles or looking for that extra boost. Nothing is impossible, I promise. Even when you are feeling your worst, there is always a solution.

Rolling

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Re: Permenantly Attached - September 28th 2012, 11:45 PM

Your story is very moving and inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Oldaccount. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Permenantly Attached - September 29th 2012, 06:27 PM

Hey Jazz,

It's amazing to hear that you've learned something new and you are thinking positively. Your story is great and so inspiring!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
RollingOn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Permenantly Attached - September 30th 2012, 11:11 PM

Thanks, both of you!

No problem, I cannot say that I am well versed in this catagory, but I generally have a good idea of what people endure

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Permenantly Attached - October 2nd 2012, 01:00 PM

Hey wow, I've heard of people shredding in wheelchairs and it is awesome. But this is such a tremendous story to show how far you've come, in able to learn how to do things differently and see things differently (perspective wise).

I'm happy to hear this story,
Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Ivan"Chandler" Brown

Re: Permenantly Attached - October 2nd 2012, 05:56 PM

Thank you so very much for sharing your story with us. It was very inspiring. Keep up the good work.

I'll miss you grandma more then you'll ever know. I know your being taken good care of. I will never forget you.
5/20/1950??-4/1/2013
  Send a message via AIM to Brighter.than.sun Send a message via MSN to Brighter.than.sun Send a message via Yahoo to Brighter.than.sun Send a message via Skype™ to Brighter.than.sun 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
RollingOn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Permenantly Attached - October 4th 2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Hey wow, I've heard of people shredding in wheelchairs and it is awesome. But this is such a tremendous story to show how far you've come, in able to learn how to do things differently and see things differently (perspective wise).

I'm happy to hear this story,
Jay.

Really? Not many people have heard of it I am glad that you have though. Aaron Fotheringham is the most popular and I am the only girl in the world currently... which is kind of daunting. I have a big wheelchair to fill haha. I do; however, have to friends that are girls and are starting, but none are stepping it up... yet. It is my duty to show the girls that it is just as easy for us as it is for the boys.

Quote:
Thank you so very much for sharing your story with us. It was very inspiring. Keep up the good work.
Will do, my friend.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Permenantly Attached - October 4th 2012, 06:15 AM

Haha, it looks mighty sick! And yeah, I've only heard of guys doing it but notice a few girls are trying it out, around my area this ia a total skating zone :P I even have the skatepark down the block from my place. I usually go there with my skateboard though or my scooter. Everybodies knowing out the crud tricks though which is funny to watch.
I'd love to see the guys try and do what you do, it would be hillarious because some are REALLY uncoordinated :P

Keep it up,
Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Ceinwyn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Isobel
Location: I'm a free spirit yo... Just haven't found the way out of leicester yet

Re: Permenantly Attached - October 7th 2012, 04:35 PM

YOU! you are awesome glad things are looking up wish you all the best

Women are women, regardless of sex,
and men are men, in the same respects.

You can be both, or a mix of the two,
or you can be neither, if that's what suits you.

But people are people, whatever their parts,
because what really matters, is inside of our hearts.

*Some poem I found on the internet*

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Permenantly Attached - October 11th 2012, 10:49 PM

Wow Jazz!!
You are inspiring!
For becoming disabled just over a year ago, you have amazing confidence and are really strong.
I have a disability too, not the same as yours, and I know how hard it can be to do some things and I can understand how difficult sports can be.
It is really inspiring that you skateboard and that you are making the best of your life with your limitations.
A lot of people would get really depressed however you are able to turn things into positivity which is an amazing thing.
Keep up your awesomeness and if you ever need anything I am here.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread