TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Autoimmune Diseases - November 14th 2012, 04:03 AM

Hey everyone!
I was just thinking to myself, I don't really know anybody else who has any immune diseases, so I was wondering if anyone on here had any.
I have Crohn's Disease, where my immune system attacks the upper part of my lower colon which restricts what and how much I can eat or drink. Arthritis, where obviously my immune system is attacking my joints. And AIED, which is where my immune system attacks my inner ear, which causes hearing problems sometimes leading to deafness, tinnitus, pain, and balance problems.
I take one medication for all of these problems which is called Azathioprine which lowers my immune system (and as an obvious trade-off causes me to get sick more often).

Does anybody else have to deal with anything like this? I'd love to hear about how you go about your daily life without having to worry about germs and getting sick because of your medications or how you deal with the problems associated to your specific disease.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Autoimmune Diseases - November 14th 2012, 06:28 AM

Hi Richard,

I do not have any autoimmune diseases however I have family members that do have them.
I cannot relate to what you go through but I can be here if you ever need someone to talk to.
I really think you will get some responses from people that can relate and understand what you are going through.
You can send me a PM if you ever need anything.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Autoimmune Diseases - November 14th 2012, 09:03 PM

I also have Crohn's Disease. I take 6MP and a bunch of vitamins. As you can probably guess, I get sick easier than most people, especially if there's a stomach bug or something going around. I've had a few teachers that don't understand or care, and even my friends don't really understand. They think I'm just making excuses. I'm almost always tired and it sucks.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
scallensworth Offline
Scallensworth
Average Joe

Name: Rose
Location: Somewhere on my own planet where everyone loves me and I don't have problems

Re: Autoimmune Diseases - November 14th 2012, 11:20 PM

I have celiac disease which is where when I eat gluten then the villi in my intestine get attacked by my immune system causing me to get really sick and possibly have a seizure. I am on a gluten free diet to control this. My dad has a kidney disease (not sure what it's called) and he has to be on all kinds of meds to slow the disease down. It also requires kidney transplants normally which he has had 2 of.

Love Is All You Need In Your Life And Love Knows No Gender, Race, Religion, Or Age.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Autoimmune Diseases - November 14th 2012, 11:37 PM

I have had junior idiopathic arthritis since I was two years old.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Re: Autoimmune Diseases - November 15th 2012, 12:18 AM

My sister has Crohn's. She was diagnosed when I was 11, and I am now 20, so she's had it for about 10 years. She takes Slow FE, and a lot of vitamins and some other meds, that I don't remember. When she feels she is getting sick, she loads up on the vitamin C pills. She also runs a food blog called IBeaFoodie which you can check out here, so she makes sure that her diet is healthy and such.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Autoimmune Diseases - November 15th 2012, 12:14 PM

Hey Maeve, you're the first person I've met near my age who also has arthritis Whenever I tell anyone they make it out that I'm making an excuse to not work as hard as everyone else or that I'm just being lazy, which is totally untrue. Does anyone ever say that to you?

And it's nice to hear that a few other people deal with Crohn's or something similar (like Celiac, I remember that they thought I might have that before they tested me for Crohn's). What kind of vitamins do you guys take for Crohn's?

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Autoimmune Diseases - November 15th 2012, 11:28 PM

I mainly take iron and zinc. Also a multivitamin and lots of vitamin C if people around me are sick or if I get sick.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Oldaccount. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Autoimmune Diseases - November 16th 2012, 02:51 PM

I have an autoimmune disease which affects my skin called psoriasis which I have had for nearly 7 years now, it runs in my family so it's most likely that I got it through that and it also started through the amount of stress I had in my childhood. I have to wash around two times a day to keep my skin clean otherwise it becomes quite painful and can bleed. I have to treat it with cream which does help but I don't tend to put it on everyday so I have to stick with washing most of the time. I tend to only put the cream on if I am wearing a dress or if I go on holiday, other than that I stick to long sleeves to cover it up. I will hopefully be receiving photo-therapy for it soon which I hope will make me feel better about myself and may help reduce it. I find it quite easy to deal with on a day to day basis but at times it can be quite very painful and it sometimes gets me down; if somebody see's it I also tend to get really embarrassed but I can handle it the majority of the time.

Closed Thread