TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MGICECUBE15 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Meera

Question Special Educational Needs - June 6th 2013, 07:30 AM

Hey ,

I am in year 11 and I have SEN - Special Educational Needs and I also have statement of SEN which has all my learning difficulties and how I get supported in school.

I will be going to college this september so I wanted to ask a few questions to people who are SEN and are or have been to college
Do any of you have special educational needs and a statement of SEN. Do you still get help in sixth form , college and university.

Love from Meera xx

Be Strong, Have Faith, Have Courage xx

Current Mental Health - Sever depression, SAD,Self harm, Suicide thoughts, anxiety attacks and voices in my head.

Current Medicines - Fluoxetine

Feel free to PM me anytime , I love getting PM's and I love supporting people as it distracts me from my horrible thoughts.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Special Educational Needs - June 6th 2013, 11:03 AM

Can't help you with personal experience sorry, but can make some comment.

Most countries will have laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of disability (among many other things). Any decent college will be able to provide you with appropriate assistance to make sure that you can achieve to the best of your abilities.

You seem to be in London... quick bit of googling found me this:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/disability/

Other colleges should have the same sort of programs.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MGICECUBE15 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Special Educational Needs - June 6th 2013, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the reply Mahray

The Special Educational Needs I have are server speech and language communication with expressive problems, selective mutism , fine motor skills problem - I cannot write for too long without any support as my hand gets really achy and high functioning autism.

My hours since year 9 till year year 11 have been much higher and it says on my statement of special needs that I have 23 hours of TA support and 3 hours of teacher support.

Because I have speech and language communication difficulties I have a problem of talking to teachers even when I have a problem, so my dad rang up the college which I will be starting in September which is stanmore college to see if I can look at the college and meet couple of the teachers from the inclusion team before starting in September. Stanmore college has kindly agreed to this and I went with my dad today to see the college and we saw the inclusion manager.

My speech therapist said to me that I will get a speech therapist coming to see me in stanmore college because of the speech and language communicational need and the selective mutism, and also the new speech therapist for me in stanmore college will have a meeting with the inclusion team to discuss to the inclusion team how they can help me.

Love from Meera xx

Current Mental Health - Sever depression, SAD,Self harm, Suicide thoughts, anxiety attacks and voices in my head.

Feel free to PM me anytime , I love getting PM's and I love supporting people as it distracts me from my horrible thoughts.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Special Educational Needs - June 6th 2013, 05:45 PM

I happened to go to a university what was very active in supporting the rights of anyone with SEN or a disability. From what they have expressed to me, most colleges in most countries will accommodate you similarly, if not better, typically through a "centre for students with disabilities" type thing.
I used the centres services for three years of my degree studies for my severe anxiety and IBS (which isn't yet recognized as a disability by most places so I was incredibly grateful). I was able to take all my midterms and exams in their facilities, I also had access to a notetaker for all of my courses who would provide me with notes if I had to leave early/miss a class. I also witnessed the many things they do for people in your situation, such as having a scribe (someone you dictate your answers to and they help you write it out for your exam), having every type of support for hearing/sight impairments, and endless other accommodations available.
Aside from that, professors and teaching assistants are very understanding! Most are also available through email, office hours, by phone so if you find one of these methods easier to use they will most likely be able to help you through that particular method. As long as your needs are recognized by the school, you should have absolutely no problem getting the supports you need from everyone at the school.
I found this page for the college you mentioned (http://www.stanmore.ac.uk/index.php/...arning-support), and it seems to provide all the same supports that I described, just make sure you know what's available, and bring all your concerns to them and i'm sure they will sort everything out for you!
Good Luck!

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Special Educational Needs - June 7th 2013, 01:37 AM

Hi Meera!

I live in a different country but I am rather sure that your country has similar legislation to mine in regards to this. Also, reading the page on your college's website confirms my thinking.
I get really great services from my schools's academic center that helps people with disabilities.
I am really glad to see you have gotten in contact with someone at your school in regards to being able to visit early.
There is the name of someone specific you can contact on the page that Stacey linked to you and I highly suggest you jot down some questions or things you want her to know and then give her a call as soon as you can.
Colleges and universities like to find out well in advance about the needs of students that they accept with any form of disability that way they can make necessary preparations (in your case, possibly, searching for someone to be a scribe and for a tutor or tutors (depending on how many you may need) and any other accommadations you may require).
The process can be somewhat tricky at first, it probably seems very unknown and overwhelming right now but your school looks like they have some procedures set up that will be able to help you. Also, when you get in contact with someone, that will make the process a whole lot easier because you will be able to find out more information.
Hopefully this is helpful and if you ever need anything, you can send me a PM.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MGICECUBE15 Offline
Not a n00b

June 7th 2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
I happened to go to a university what was very active in supporting the rights of anyone with SEN or a disability. From what they have expressed to me, most colleges in most countries will accommodate you similarly, if not better, typically through a "centre for students with disabilities" type thing.
I used the centres services for three years of my degree studies for my severe anxiety and IBS (which isn't yet recognized as a disability by most places so I was incredibly grateful). I was able to take all my midterms and exams in their facilities, I also had access to a notetaker for all of my courses who would provide me with notes if I had to leave early/miss a class. I also witnessed the many things they do for people in your situation, such as having a scribe (someone you dictate your answers to and they help you write it out for your exam), having every type of support for hearing/sight impairments, and endless other accommodations available.
Aside from that, professors and teaching assistants are very understanding! Most are also available through email, office hours, by phone so if you find one of these methods easier to use they will most likely be able to help you through that particular method. As long as your needs are recognized by the school, you should have absolutely no problem getting the supports you need from everyone at the school.
I found this page for the college you mentioned (http://www.stanmore.ac.uk/index.php/...arning-support), and it seems to provide all the same supports that I described, just make sure you know what's available, and bring all your concerns to them and i'm sure they will sort everything out for you!
Good Luck!
Hi ,

Thank you for this . It really helped so much. Thank you for finding the stanmore college support details.

Love from Meera xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakorrhaphiophobia View Post
Hi Meera!

I live in a different country but I am rather sure that your country has similar legislation to mine in regards to this. Also, reading the page on your college's website confirms my thinking.
I get really great services from my schools's academic center that helps people with disabilities.
I am really glad to see you have gotten in contact with someone at your school in regards to being able to visit early.
There is the name of someone specific you can contact on the page that Stacey linked to you and I highly suggest you jot down some questions or things you want her to know and then give her a call as soon as you can.
Colleges and universities like to find out well in advance about the needs of students that they accept with any form of disability that way they can make necessary preparations (in your case, possibly, searching for someone to be a scribe and for a tutor or tutors (depending on how many you may need) and any other accommadations you may require).
The process can be somewhat tricky at first, it probably seems very unknown and overwhelming right now but your school looks like they have some procedures set up that will be able to help you. Also, when you get in contact with someone, that will make the process a whole lot easier because you will be able to find out more information.
Hopefully this is helpful and if you ever need anything, you can send me a PM.
Hey,

Thank you for message , it was very helpful.

Love from Meera xx

Hey everyone ,

I wanted to ask you does anyone have a time out card in college because I had one at my current high school and will require another one when I am in college. Do you think the college would make a time out card for me?

If you do have a time out card , what do you use yours for?
I use my time out card when I am feeling extremely anxious or when I know I will end up getting told off in class if stay in the classroom because I have BESD( Behaviour Emotional Social Difficulties).

Love from Meera xx

Last edited by Philomath; June 7th 2013 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Special Educational Needs - June 7th 2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGICECUBE15 View Post
Hi ,

Thank you for this . It really helped so much. Thank you for finding the stanmore college support details.

Love from Meera xx

Hey,

Thank you for message , it was very helpful.

Love from Meera xx

Hey everyone ,

I wanted to ask you does anyone have a time out card in college because I had one at my current high school and will require another one when I am in college. Do you think the college would make a time out card for me?

If you do have a time out card , what do you use yours for?
I use my time out card when I am feeling extremely anxious or when I know I will end up getting told off in class if stay in the classroom because I have BESD( Behaviour Emotional Social Difficulties).

Love from Meera xx
Hi Meera,

I have never heard of this being offered by colleges however it will not hurt to ask them what you can do in these circumstances.
Edit: I have been thinking, this would be similar to the accommodation allowing students to take breaks. In this case, you would be allowed to walk out of class and then return when you feel able to.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Last edited by Philomath; June 7th 2013 at 07:06 AM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Special Educational Needs - June 7th 2013, 06:51 AM

From your college:
Quote:
We encourage students to be involved in decisions about their education through involvement in writing up their Individual Learning Plan (ILP)...
Even though not really directly related, if you feel that it would benefit you to have some "time-out" (which is used in the very responsible manner which you detail!), then I'm sure the SEN team would look into it with you.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

Last edited by Adam the Fish; June 7th 2013 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Clarifying

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Special Educational Needs - June 7th 2013, 05:30 PM

In most cases in college/university professors are fine if you need to leave class for a minute and come back in as long as you're not disturbing anyone else. You could always notify them ahead of time as well, and situate yourself in the classroom so that you make as little disruption as possible if you do leave. For tests and things typically the need for breaks is recognized.

Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#10 (permalink)) Old
MGICECUBE15 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Special Educational Needs - June 7th 2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
In most cases in college/university professors are fine if you need to leave class for a minute and come back in as long as you're not disturbing anyone else. You could always notify them ahead of time as well, and situate yourself in the classroom so that you make as little disruption as possible if you do leave. For tests and things typically the need for breaks is recognized.

Thank you Stacey for your reply. In all my GCSEs exams I have had rest breaks because of my mental health issues.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Special Educational Needs - June 15th 2013, 03:58 PM

Glad I could help! Good luck!!

Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Special Educational Needs - June 16th 2013, 01:58 AM

Hey so I replied but i sent it as a PM instead because i get accommodations at my university and my reply was pretty long so yeah

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#13 (permalink)) Old
MGICECUBE15 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Special Educational Needs - June 16th 2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wallflower~ View Post
Hey so I replied but i sent it as a PM instead because i get accommodations at my university and my reply was pretty long so yeah
Thanks .

Love from MEERA xx

Closed Thread