TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Saoirse Offline
Blind Saint
Average Joe

Name: Connor

Thumbs up Visual Impairment/Blindness frostwav's Info & FAQ - June 26th 2013, 04:47 AM

Hello! So I am new to this website/forums and would like to give you my input and my experiences as being a formerly (completely) blind person. So here goes...

I was born with congenital cataracts in 1996. After a while, I had cataract surgery and was deemed "legally blind" after that with a vision acuity of 20/800.

In late 2011, I had gotten Intraocular Lens Implants (IOL) surgery and after a bit of healing, I had gotten about an average of 20/30 to 20/40 acuity level and at some points was able to read 20/20.

Just recently about a month or two ago, I had started getting the feeling of simply not wanting to 'see' anymore. I did not know what caused this at first but just a few days ago, I researched this condition known as "visual agnosia" - where a person simply just gets overwhelmed with the sight he has (this is normal in adults, but I'm a teenager who just got his vision about less than 2 years ago so it kinda counts.) I can still make out and describe objects and perceive them as such from my knowledge - it just the fact that I had somewhat better experiences without my sight. I can't entirely explain why this feeling came about nor have I officially been diagnosed with it (yet).

P.S. I am still at a hereditary risk of getting glaucoma, but it has not been diagnosed in me yet, so I obviously don't have it at the moment.

I also do not expect others to understand this feeling as most of you that are sighted think that sight is the most precious thing in the world - and I can understand from your point of view that it can be. However, my experiences have been different than yours and they still continue to be different as well as my own mindset.

Also, it is not confirmed yet, but I believe that my vision has swayed towards the fuzzy side but am not yet sure. I will be having a doctor's appointment next month that may confirm this and will update on the fact.

One thing that you may or may not know as you may not have interacted with a visually impaired or blind person. I for one have/had no problem being called "visually impaired" as I was not completely blind my WHOLE entire life. I was more "visually impaired" in a sense of not seeing as well, but still having sight. Most blind people however do not give one thought about being labeled blind (Ex: blind person). Also, we/they would rather a person not be so politically correct when referring to "seeing" things. For example, if you went to a movie with a blind person, and you ask how the movie was, do NOT be afraid to say around that person "Yeah, we saw this (movie title)" or something. Say a phrase around a blind person as you would to a sighted person.

I will add more to this thread or edit this own post (if there is a forum option that allows this) with anything new I find or remember to post.''

Feel free to speak to me about any questions (personal/private or public) that you may have about anything regarding visual impairment/blindness and/or anything else that may or may not be relevant to this topic. Post feedback please.

Thank you,

frostwav
  Send a message via Skype™ to Saoirse 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Visual Impairment/Blindness frostwav's Info & FAQ - June 26th 2013, 05:53 AM

Hi, welcome to TH.
You have a great start to this FAQ here.
I am visually impaired as well.
We have another FAQ thread as well in the forum on this subject. However, your take on it is welcome. There are so many variations in how much, or how little people can see that a lot of people do not understand the differences between the amount of vision some people have and others lack.
Also, you can only edit your original post during the twenty-four hours after you post it. You can reply to posts as long as the thread remains open. If no responses are posted in a thread, they close after fourteen days of no one posting.
Hopefully this is helpful and I cannot wait to see what questions you may be asked and your take on things. I am always curious about how people who have more sight than me, that are visually impaired, bview the world.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Visual Impairment/Blindness frostwav's Info & FAQ - June 26th 2013, 06:07 AM

Hey there, I'm not quite visually impaired. My vision related medical history is beyond complex, but I fall just above the cut off for legal visual impairment I'm at about 20/50 right now. Feel free to ask me anything you want. I'm happy to explain to anyone who wants to know, it's just hard for some people to understand.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Saoirse Offline
Blind Saint
Average Joe

Name: Connor

Re: Visual Impairment/Blindness frostwav's Info & FAQ - June 26th 2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakorrhaphiophobia View Post
Hi, welcome to TH.
You have a great start to this FAQ here.
I am visually impaired as well.
We have another FAQ thread as well in the forum on this subject. However, your take on it is welcome. There are so many variations in how much, or how little people can see that a lot of people do not understand the differences between the amount of vision some people have and others lack.
Also, you can only edit your original post during the twenty-four hours after you post it. You can reply to posts as long as the thread remains open. If no responses are posted in a thread, they close after fourteen days of no one posting.
Hopefully this is helpful and I cannot wait to see what questions you may be asked and your take on things. I am always curious about how people who have more sight than me, that are visually impaired, bview the world.
Thank you for the information and help! I really love questions and answering them to my own experiences and such. I hope people DO have questions and bring feedback to this subject.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Saoirse 
Closed Thread