TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lia:) Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cecilia

Dyslexia? - June 28th 2013, 09:07 PM

I'm 99.99% sure I have dyslexia. I'm a pretty terrible speller and reader and I get letters jumbeld up. I don't think my parents have noticed, or they probably would have done something. Teachers don't notice either, try just circel all my mistakes. Should I tell my parents that I think I am? I don't think they'll take me seriously... Also, do you think other people would be able to tell that I am?
Help and advice is greatly apprecited!! thanks!

Lia : )

K E E P S M I L I N G : )

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Beating the odds ~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mads

Re: Dyslexia? - June 28th 2013, 10:01 PM

Tell your parents, if they think you're joking, then bring it up when you next see your doctor or teacher. I'm sure there's a test you can take to see whether or not you have it. Make sure to add (when you speak to your parents/doctor) how it effects your schoolwork and testing, if it does.
Good luck!

"Don't tell me you're not beautiful. You're the kind of beautiful the blind would see if we could figure out some way to give them three seconds of sight." -- Shane Koyczan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Dyslexia? - June 29th 2013, 02:32 AM

Hi,

You may or may not have dyslexia. You really should tell your parents, explaining why you believe you have it and if they do not take you to get tested and/or to talk to your doctor about being tested, you can always speak to a teacher or guidance counselor at school about this and they can speak with your parents and recommend places where proper testing can be done so that you can find out if you are dyslexic.
Dyslexia is not a disability that would be noticed by people unless you told them. The only people that would have to know about you having it would be your teachers, parents and any other adult that would be giving you any sort of exams/providing help so that you can still do well even with dyslexia.
Hopefully this is helpful and that you get the support you need to do well in school.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Re: Dyslexia? - July 1st 2013, 02:03 AM

I agree, we can't tell you if you have Dyslexia or not as we are not professionals, and self-diagnosis is never the way to go. Talk to your parents and set up an appointment with your regular doctor, if they are not certified to diagnose you, they will refer you to a doctor who can help you figure out exactly what it is and if it is actually dyslexia.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
Closed Thread