TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
A Gay Pocky Stick
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hayden/Gavin

Deaf My Entire Life - July 27th 2013, 06:23 AM

I kinda wanted to post something before I fell asleep with a phone on my chest. Alright. I was born deaf, and unknown for 3 years. It's family related, my great-grandfathers were deaf. Just two of them. And I just had to be really unlucky and was born deaf. I was neary 2 and a half years old when my parents were finally realizing something was wrong. I wasn't responding to anything, slept in a frickin' bowling alley, didnt wake easily. When I was almost 3, I went into a surgery room, and shortly after, I was hearing things. I could finally hear my mother's voice. It kinda sucks though, I can't catch the beat to my favorite songs, hear high pitched whines, and hear someone in a loud conversation. My tutor tells me I'm the most successful non-signing deaf student in the USA. Apparently so I am. I don't sign. At all. Except for "I love you." I know what some signs say, but I can't perform them myself. I'm pretty proud of myself, making it this far into life with no signing, and being totally verbal. I'm ending it here. I'll gladly answer any questions you have! c:

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Deaf My Entire Life - July 27th 2013, 06:57 AM

That's amazing that you've gone this long and never had to depend on sign language. I don't really have an questions since I've been around deaf people at various times in my life and know a fair bit about it and know some basic sign language myself.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Butters Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Deaf My Entire Life - July 27th 2013, 10:05 AM

Hey,
Like you I was born deaf, started to be able to hear when I was about 9 after an operation luckily now I can hear some pitches at a normal level..

I have two questions, do you get many ear infections or much pain? and if so how do you cope with it?

My spelling is terrible, so I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes in my posts

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Re: Deaf My Entire Life - July 27th 2013, 07:57 PM

Thank you for being so open! I'm sure people will come to you with whatever questions they have.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
A Gay Pocky Stick
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Deaf My Entire Life - July 27th 2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Hey,
Like you I was born deaf, started to be able to hear when I was about 9 after an operation luckily now I can hear some pitches at a normal level..

I have two questions, do you get many ear infections or much pain? and if so how do you cope with it?
I've never had an infection or pain, but once in a blue moon, I will have a strange ringing in my left ear (my right has the implant). The ringing will go away in about 5 minutes if I got one.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Deaf My Entire Life - July 28th 2013, 01:49 AM

Hi Hayden,

Welcome to Th!
It is really great you are open to questions about being deaf. Also, I find it amazing you have made it so far without having to use sign language! Since you do not use sign language, does this mean in order to communicate you write a whole lot? How do you communicate with classmates or your teachers at school?
I have more questions, as being someone without sight, I wonder a whole lot about what it is like to be deaf. I went to a school for the deaf and blind for a few years growing up so I have spent time around people that are deaf and I can sign the alphabet, mother, father and thank you.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Deaf My Entire Life - August 8th 2013, 07:11 PM

Hm.

*leaves thread*

Yes, I'm aware that was unnecessary. But it's making a point: not all deaf people want to have CI's. & those that have had CI's as children are not proud of it. Some even resent it, going as far as throwing their implants away and renouncing their deafness.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
A Gay Pocky Stick
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Deaf My Entire Life - August 11th 2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakorrhaphiophobia View Post
Hi Hayden,

Welcome to Th!
It is really great you are open to questions about being deaf. Also, I find it amazing you have made it so far without having to use sign language! Since you do not use sign language, does this mean in order to communicate you write a whole lot? How do you communicate with classmates or your teachers at school?
I have more questions, as being someone without sight, I wonder a whole lot about what it is like to be deaf. I went to a school for the deaf and blind for a few years growing up so I have spent time around people that are deaf and I can sign the alphabet, mother, father and thank you.
I have a hearing aid, so that's my main source of communication. Without it, I do my best to lip read, otherwise, I will have them write on paper or in a text message. At school, I usually don't even talk, so I don't have to worry so much about in-class interaction. It's difficult

Closed Thread