TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lee349 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,190, Level: 11 Points: 6,190, Level: 11 Points: 6,190, Level: 11

School dance should I go - January 9th 2015, 04:16 AM

Hi my schools winter formal is next Friday and I want to go but I'm so nervous I'm a guy and I've never gone to a school dance and I'm a senior I wouldn't have a date and I know some of my ok freinds are going but I feel like if I went I might just end up standing alone also I have no idea how to dance aparently most the dances of my school are just people grinding on each other and I have no idea how to do that so I'm afraid if for some reason a girl or a group of freinds asked me to dance I would have no idea what to do so I want to go but with all the things I listed I feel like I would just make myself look stupid and not have a good time
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27

Re: School dance should I go - January 9th 2015, 12:55 PM

Hey there,
I can understand the nervousness! That being said you mentioned that you really want to go and if that is the case, then go for it. Some of the terrifying things in life are also the most exciting. Plus why not try something new? At least then if you don't want to go to any more parties you could say that you gave it a chance.
As for tips and stuff. You don't have to be so caught up in getting a date. I honestly know many girls who went to prom (I didn't go) and didn't have a date but still had a great time. You can still dance and have a good time. I think that if you find a few friends to go with you should be okay. But if you really want to learn dance moves, I'd say look up videos and try learning from that. Since the event is pretty soon, that is your best bet. You can also ask around your friends and such if they can teach you or if you can practice together.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Oneirophobia Offline
Fear of Dreams

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kayla C

Points: 19,348, Level: 20 Points: 19,348, Level: 20 Points: 19,348, Level: 20

Re: School dance should I go - January 10th 2015, 11:28 PM

You should go, enjoy yourself. Everyone can dance in there own way.
I am sure if you go with friends you will be a lot and enjoy yourself. Remember you can always try to go, and if you don't like it you can leave, but all you can do is try; if you don't try you will never know.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Writer Offline
Average Joe

Name: Anna

Points: 7,653, Level: 12 Points: 7,653, Level: 12 Points: 7,653, Level: 12

Re: School dance should I go - January 11th 2015, 09:53 PM

Take a book, and go anyway.

I'm nervous a lot in social situations. So, I take a book. If I can't find anything to do, I sit in the corner and read until it's time to leave. If I have a book, at least I look like I'm in control of the situation, if I seem a little eccentric. If I'm having a good time, I put the book somewhere safe, and just have a brilliant time. Think of it like a social security blanket with pages. Just remember: Talk to people every so often.

Yes, I am recommending taking a book to a dance. Then again, I'm odd, so I might not listen to me if I were me. Well, in fact I listen to me all the time. And I turned out fine. So I think I'd recommend it.

ANNA
ENTJ, HERMIT, AUTHOR.
"The most notorious ill-fortune must, in the end, yield to the untiring courage of philosophy - as the most stubborn city to the ceaseless vigilance of the enemy." - Edgar Allan Poe

c
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,241, Level: 10 Points: 5,241, Level: 10 Points: 5,241, Level: 10

Re: School dance should I go - January 21st 2015, 10:46 PM

You'll be surprised at how many other people going feel the same. I can't dance myself, I just bob up and down.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,241, Level: 10 Points: 5,241, Level: 10 Points: 5,241, Level: 10

Re: School dance should I go - January 21st 2015, 10:49 PM

Oh. I've just realised this post is November 21st 2013. I thought it said January 21st!
Closed Thread