TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Brittany1143 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brittany

Exclamation Living with aspergers - April 30th 2015, 05:14 AM

I got diagnosed with aspergers about a year ago. It's a form of high functioning autism. It was such a blessing because I was struggling and I finally had an answer as to why I was having so many problems. However, I am still struggling. I am not outgoing at all. I shy away from people so I am not good at making friends. It gets really lonely and it makes me so upset seeing normal people go out with friends.

I was just wondering if anyone else is diagnoses with aspergers and can relate to me? I really need someone who understands the daily struggles of trying to live life.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Living with aspergers - April 30th 2015, 06:19 AM

I DON'T have aspergers but I struggle with many friends and then keeping them once I have them. I'm usually in my room by myself most of the time. I struggle on a daily basis to be more vocal towards others besides my family... Struggle to get out of the house.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Vegemate Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jeremy

Re: Living with aspergers - April 30th 2015, 09:11 AM

I have aspergers and I've found that learning how I work, what upsets me, what makes me angry etc is really great for understanding it. I got diagnosed when I was 11 - 12 so it's taken a few years work to get to where I am now but I'm at a point of noticing what I'm doing or what I'm thinking is 'Aspergers' if you get the gist of that.

-Jeremy

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Living with aspergers - May 1st 2015, 09:30 PM

I have Asperges too and actually wrote an article about it on this website. heres the link: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f128-...gers-syndrome/

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Shy Brian Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Erm, Brian

Re: Living with aspergers - May 15th 2015, 03:40 AM

I have asperger's too. A complete introvert and lousy at socializing with people. Stuff like starting a conversation with someone is near impossible for me (which is a huge problem when you need to go into employment) I want to work at least part time but....you have to ask for an application. I find more enjoyment out of artwork, reading or signing onto sites like this then meeting people in person and blabber about everyday gossip. I also get nervous about answering phones or calling people. I have no idea why the telephone is such a nightmare for me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Living with aspergers - May 18th 2015, 09:24 PM

Hi there,

I'm not diagnosed with aspergers but I just wanted to let you know we're all here to support you through what ever you need us too. You're never alone in this so don't feel like you have to suffer in silence or go through anything by yourself. I'm willing to talk to you about anything if you want too or if you're having a bad day and need a chat. Keep fighting and keep strong!

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#7 (permalink)) Old
crotia Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Living with aspergers - May 19th 2015, 01:57 PM

I'm PDD-NOS but basicly asperger. And i'm very lucky. I have a best friend with asperger. And she's my world. I swear there is no one in the world that means more to me than her. Also I am picky with other friends. I always choose people with at least some kind of mental condition. (even unconsiously) luckily for me there is a special room in my school where special needs kids can go to when they need some help or space. And I socialize there.

But unfortunately not everyone is as lucky as I am. All I can say is go look for the cool people out there. Autism isn't wrong it's just different. Remember that. You are awesome. Sure it has some downsides but there are upsides too. We are WAY cooler than the lot of them.

Am I the only one who thinks neurotypical teenage girls talk about nothing? I mean they can go on for hours without a real point to there conversation. Boring. (well sometimes they do talk about something I admit that)

Helping others sometimes makes it easier to feel good about yourself and help yourself.

So PM me if You want.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
NatureFantasy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Living with aspergers - May 19th 2015, 07:32 PM

I have Asperger's syndrome too, and I also have trouble socializing with people. My biggest difficulty is the constant pop culture references. I rarely like the same things others do, and forcing myself to spend tons of hours watching things I don't like just so I can understand a conversation or two later hardly seems worth it. But eventually the disconnect between what I like and am familiar with and what everyone else likes and is familiar with adds up, and I end up feeling really alone.

I also have sensory issues, though those are much less bad now. The only one that's an issue anymore is sound. I have a ridiculous amount of time focusing on my work if others are talking in the background or if there's music with lyrics playing, or if there's a videogame in the background. I also get overloaded due to loud noises easily. Smells, touch and taste bother me less now though, even though I'm still super-sensitive to them.

I also have problems being taken seriously. Part of it is that I am really short and energetic, so people think of me as kid-like, and I am also naturally innocent-minded, which makes that even worse. Part of it is also that I need to be more assertive, and yell (metaphorically, not literally) at people more when I feel that they are treating me badly.

What mystifies me most is that a lot of NT people seem to view life as a "game," whereas I take it very seriously. I fell like I'm a lot more serious and passionate than many NT people I've met.

Also, in the NT world everything seems to revolve around sexual stuff way more than I feel it should, which also confuses me. Although I think that'll be less true once I get older, luckily.

What about you guys? Can you guys relate to any of what I mentioned?

P.S. crotia, I agree with you that NT (neurotypical) girls talk about nothing. I also think the can be really superficial in terms of makeup and how people dress, and whether people are "weird" or not and stuff like that. Though in nerdier and geekier social groups I've found stuff like that to be less of a problem.

P.P.S. I want to make it clear that I am only describing generalizations about how others seem to think and feel differently than me, and others with autism. I am not suggesting, and would NEVER suggest, that every non-autistic person is like this, or thinks like this. And I hope that you guys don't view my venting about my problems as an attack on you all. Some of my closest friends are NTs, and they're super awesome! And from what I've seen on here, you guys are really awesome too.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
batsmad Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Laura

Re: Living with aspergers - May 23rd 2015, 05:17 PM

I also got diagnosed recently and I know how much of a relief it can be. I've only ever had a small group of friends who are mostly guys as I find people difficult to deal with. I got bullied quite a bit in secondary school because I didn't know how to fit in, and I didn't really see the point.
I can tell you that if you get through the struggle at school and get to uni it gets way better. I've found that people in uni here don't really seem to care what you're into, and you don't get called a nerd for liking things or wanting to do well. It was difficult but there's going to be someone that can accept you for who you are. I've found a group of people who don't want to go out to the club each week and drink loads, we just hang out an play games, no girly stuff that I don't see the point of. They accepted that I couldn't talk to them at first (sometimes people think I'm mute because if I panic I can't talk at all) and now I'm a lot more comfortable with them and it's great.
Hopefully you'll find someone soon who can see past your shyness to how great you are!
  Send a message via Skype™ to batsmad 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Lissalauvely23 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Living with aspergers - June 4th 2015, 03:04 PM

I have aspergers as well and have a such difficult time connecting to people and making friends. Honestly the greatest way I have make friends is on social networks. It is easier for me to connect with people that way for me and honestly have made the best of friends and girlfriend who happens to have aspergers as well so they are very understanding of the symptoms. Luckily they happened to live in my area! Of course I have always snapchatted and video chat with them before meeting up. Hope that somewhat helps!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Living with aspergers - June 4th 2015, 07:53 PM

I have ADHD and generalized anxiety, which isn't the same at all but it has affected my social life - like some people find me annoying at times because I talk to much and being high strung (anxious) and hyper (ADHD) isn't exactly the greatest pathway to being popular. Don't get me wrong, people like me, but it can take a while to make friends.

Any who, I do know people who actually have autism or aspergers. One of my friends has autism and he find it really helpful to get some counselling that specifically addressed his needs, but I am sure you can access similar info online. Plus, he found it easier to do things he liked, such as coming to our club meetings where there were people who he had stuff in common with (in this case it was Harry Potter and social activism) and we were all super inclusive of everyone, so he made friends with us because we didn't care if he was quiet or socially awkward. Maybe finding a club or sport or other activity you like to Jon will help you..

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread