TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelsey

Living with POTS? - April 30th 2016, 03:04 PM

Does anyone here struggle with POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome? From my understanding, my blood pressure drops too low and causes me to faint. I just started a new medication that has been helping but I really notice when I don't eat enough or drink enough water. It's super debilitating... It's ruining my life.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Living with POTS? - May 1st 2016, 12:08 PM

Obviously not a doctor, but that doesn't sound like POTS. POTS is typically problems with your heart rate, not blood pressure. For instance when a person with POTS would stand their heart rate would increase 30 beats per minute but their blood pressure would remain the same.

If you're noticing this happens when you don't eat or drink enough, then you're probably dehydrated and need food. Try to get in 64 ounces of fluids and eat enough consistently everyday.

Definitely see a doctor since it's causing you so much trouble, but still try the fluids and food thing since you said it's more noticeable when you're lacking in those areas.

Best of luck.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Living with POTS? - May 4th 2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanum View Post
Obviously not a doctor, but that doesn't sound like POTS. POTS is typically problems with your heart rate, not blood pressure. For instance when a person with POTS would stand their heart rate would increase 30 beats per minute but their blood pressure would remain the same.

If you're noticing this happens when you don't eat or drink enough, then you're probably dehydrated and need food. Try to get in 64 ounces of fluids and eat enough consistently everyday.

Definitely see a doctor since it's causing you so much trouble, but still try the fluids and food thing since you said it's more noticeable when you're lacking in those areas.

Best of luck.
Idk much about POTS, but I watched a show about this girl with it. Shed pass out when she was in certain positions because her blood pressure would drop. They gave her salt and she got completely better

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Living with POTS? - May 7th 2016, 04:28 AM

None of us here are professionals.
I did some research though and found out that it is necessary to intake salt, lots of fluids and that medications can help.
If you drink sodas or other sugary/caffinated drinks, it may be best to stop drinking those.
Drink a lot of water at least 64 ounces (8 ounces per standard cup). It may be necessary for you to drink more than this amount at least until you get yourself to where your body needs to be with fluid and salt intake.
I also saw that compression stockings can help but you should talk with your doctor before purchasing any to be sure they will be able to help you.
I know it is difficult to fit in keeping well-fed and hydrated but with something such as POTS, it is even more crucial for you to eat and drink plenty (healthy foods/drinks obviously).
It may help for you to set alarms on your phone at two-hour intervals so that you can remind yourself to drink water and eat.
Lastly, see if your doctor knows of any foods that would help or hinder POTS.
I hope this helps in some way and we are here for you.
Keep us updated if you would like.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Last edited by Philomath; May 7th 2016 at 09:41 AM.

Closed Thread