TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cheesii Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kat

Points: 3,247, Level: 8 Points: 3,247, Level: 8 Points: 3,247, Level: 8

Unhappy (School Rant) What am I supposed to do with my life/ I have good grades so I can't complain - April 2nd 2018, 07:03 PM

I'm doing well in school, not as well as I would like but my grades from an outsiders point of view are fine, maybe excellent, idk.

But I don't have a clue on what to do with my life.

I'm a sophmore in high school, so next year I'll have to make all the choices.
I've been pestered since 6th grade by teachers and counselors asking me "What do you want to do?" 7th and 8th grade I had a pretty good idea of what i wanted to do, I wanted to be an animator, or some other art job. "But you can't live off of that..." 9th grade was a rollercoaster so I didn't think about my future much. Now im in 10th and I have no idea what i want to do, i don't know if I even like drawing anymore, I have have nothing else, I have good grades but I don't want to do anything related to any core subjects. I'm going to stick with art stuff but I don't think my skills are even good enough, I'm going to a 2 week art college thing in Georgia to maybe actually learn things for once.

ugh, then theres the part where i don't want to do any work what so ever I have no motivation except for the fact if i dont get at least a B i'm gonna die (not really die, just that i won't get in a good college then won't get a good job). All i want to do is sleep and do nothing.

I don't really have a chance to talk to people about this stuff because since i have "good grades" I have nothing to complain about, I'm going to be taking 3 APs next year because my teachers think im suited to them.

So here I am, I can't talk to people irl about grade struggles because "oh your grades are fine, you don't have to worry like I do" I can't even talk to my friends because i have the highest point average among the group, I can't complain about my B- because they all have Ds and wish they could have my grades.

Even my best friend...

I don't know what to do.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: (School Rant) What am I supposed to do with my life/ I have good grades so I can't complain - April 2nd 2018, 09:41 PM

You can take time to figure out what you want to major in. I know a lot of college graduates who changed their majors a few times. As for art, you could minor in it and major in something else. There are a ton of degrees and I am sure the first two years you are in college you can take a few different courses to see what you like.

Besides art, what do you like?
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18

Re: (School Rant) What am I supposed to do with my life/ I have good grades so I can't complain - April 3rd 2018, 09:02 PM

Listen, I'm 30 years old and just finishing college. Why so long? I couldn't decide what I want to do. I've maintained a 4.0 GPA throughout high school and college. Let me tell you, it's not the end of the world. My main advice would don't pursue a passion, especially when you're younger. Why? Because you're subject to change your passions with age. Your mind doesn't stop growing until your late into your 20s. Meaning something you enjoy now, you might not in 4 years. Rather, I'd pursue something that you either like or that you can bear -- but is not a passion. Typically I recommend choosing something that provides stability. This isn't what most people suggest because they'll say "do something you love!" However, as I've mentioned in another recent post is that stability and money provide opportunity. Money isn't everything, but if you pursue art, you may not have the financial resources to be successful. Therefore, if you pursue a degree that you can manage and allow you to be successful and draw financial gains, you then have the monetary ability to do what you want and be successful at it.

Something I would also suggest doing, if you like art, is to try computer science. I know that it may sound ilk. However, I am a photographer and used to be an English major. I am not a senior in computer science, with no programming experience prior to entering school. Computer science provides you with a LOT of creativity, a LOT of problem solving, a LOT of power, and a LOT of opportunities. It may sound ilk, but give it a shot. Try learning an easier language like Python and see how you like it. If you like drawing, graphics, and art, you could learn GUI (Graphical User Interface) or Front End Web Development. Just my 2 cents. There are a lot of free resources online (BuckyRoberts, codecademy, KhanAcademy, MITOpenCourseWare, mycodeschool, etc.). When you start solving real problems, you will truly appreciate the art of it.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
AndrewRodgers Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Andrew Rodgers

Points: 2,903, Level: 8 Points: 2,903, Level: 8 Points: 2,903, Level: 8

Re: (School Rant) What am I supposed to do with my life/ I have good grades so I can't complain - April 5th 2018, 11:25 AM

Thank you so very much for this words!

I'm 20, and I also was worrying that I do one things, but have a passion for others... I also still think what to do in this life. I guess we just don't have to take every decision like the one, which we must follow for good and never change it... You can always turn from the one road to another.

Thanks!
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
jeffjones Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 2,792, Level: 7 Points: 2,792, Level: 7 Points: 2,792, Level: 7

Re: (School Rant) What am I supposed to do with my life/ I have good grades so I can't complain - April 12th 2018, 01:12 PM

We believe in you. You can acomplish anything if you want to.
Closed Thread