TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f3-general/)
-   -   World Braille Day (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f3-general/t158146-world-braille-day/)

DeletedAccount69 January 5th 2019 01:23 AM

World Braille Day

Today, January 4th is World Braille Day. Louis Braille was a French educator and inventor who created a system called braille.

Louis Braille overcame his disability of being blind from a childhood accident. His determination to succeed let to him excelling in his education and he received a scholarship to Royal Institute for Blind Youth in France where he began developing a system of tactical code. In 1824, Braille showed his peers his work where he built a system for the blind so that they could read quickly and write.

TeenHelp recognizes that many young people and adults are faced with different types of disabilities. Louis Braille invented braille while he, himself, was blind from an accident he had as a child;. He strived to help others see with their hands.

We recognize that having a disability is challenging, but nothing is impossible if we try our very best.

TeenHelp had a wonderful opportunity in 2013 to interview a member about their experience of being visually impaired. The article, Visual impairment: An Interview, is worth the read if you want to learn more about what it is like, how they were visually impaired, and debunking some myths that others may have.

TeenHelp has a wide variety of different resources and articles. We think the following links would be helpful for you or someone you know who has a disability.

About ADHD
What is autism spectrum disorder?
Stand Up for Autism

Celyn January 5th 2019 05:53 PM

Re: World Braille Day

I've always been fascinated by Braille. Very interesting to hear how it was invented by someone who was blind as well!

Really interesting article too. Love the 'interview' style- it's always refreshing to hear personal experience stories.

DeletedAccount57 January 5th 2019 08:36 PM

Very cool stuff! My father is actually blind and he is heavily involved in local advocacy for the blind community, so braille is something I've seen quite a lot in my life! I can't read it, though. D:

Arabesque- golfing girl. January 22nd 2019 07:19 PM

Thank you so much for sharing all of this with us. It was nice to read all of this too. When you do not know about something or what someone is going through, it is good to know about it so that you know how to help them or know what they are going through. Thank you again.

HloeGH April 27th 2020 01:44 PM

Our college is adapted to accept students with vision problems and I have many friends among these guys and girls. These are true optimists)) I take an example from them.