TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

From disabilities birth abilities... - December 25th 2009, 06:53 PM

I myself am not personally 'disabled' in any way, but I have noticed a pattern in many 'disabled' people... People like Stevie Wonder, Carl Barat, Dustin Carter, Beethoven, Stephen Hawkins, etc etc etc...

Stevie Wonder, the blind musician who has mastered the keys of the piano without being able to see them...

Carl Barat, a modern age partially deaf musician whose music is some of the finest out of garage rock revival.

Dustin Carter, a limbless championship high school wrestler out of Ohio

Stephen Hawkins, the paralysed genius...

Beethovan, deaf masterminded classical composer.

I can't help but feel that "disabled" is a silly label we put on people truly posesess more abilities than the most of us "able-bodied" people. It's like they compensate for one "disability" by exceeding in every other way possible that they want. It's amazing. Don't let anyone ever tell someone with "disabilities" that they can't do certain things, because obviously they can do anything, and more.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
FeistyMidget Offline
~Formerly HappyLooksGoodOnYou~
Junior TeenHelper

Re: From disabilities birth abilities... - December 26th 2009, 04:52 PM

You make a really good point, Phin! I'm also not 'disabled' in any way, and I look up to people like Stephen Hawkins, Beethoven, and Stevie Wonder. You're right- people with "disabilities" can do anything they set their mind to.
  Send a message via AIM to FeistyMidget Send a message via MSN to FeistyMidget Send a message via Yahoo to FeistyMidget Send a message via Skype™ to FeistyMidget 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: From disabilities birth abilities... - December 28th 2009, 10:16 AM

omg, my dad tells me what i can and can't do because of my disabilites, im able bodied, i just have learning dissabilites, (ADHD, As pergers, Math dyslexia, and dyspraxia). but my dad always tells me you can't do that.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Wishbone Offline
Banned
Not a n00b

Re: From disabilities birth abilities... - December 28th 2009, 11:04 AM

I also have been told i have ADD, this was when i was 5 yrs old i was diagnosed with ADHD. This is for a great many considered "Learning differences" rather than thought of as a disability. Although you are in need of understanding more about learning process to discover your differences, this only helps to further enhance your understanding of "soft skills" which are interpersonal skills when you are learning to co-operate with others. The best place to start is to take tests which determine your personality type and to do these at different stages in your life to see what changes, what you perceive differently, etc. Many ADD'rs are considered highly creative. Embrace it
 Send a message via ICQ to Wishbone  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: From disabilities birth abilities... - December 28th 2009, 05:31 PM

i am quite creative in some ways, i make alot of videos using windows movie maker. and also i could probably go on mastermind, and have my speicalist subject as the bill 2006 - 2009.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: From disabilities birth abilities... - December 28th 2009, 07:27 PM

I have arthritis in my knees, and I still jog, and play soccer.. I've been playing in front of scouts lately to!

Also, I'm dyslexic, but English is still one of my favourite subjects, and I plan to pursue a career with English or Child and youth work.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: From disabilities birth abilities... - December 28th 2009, 08:01 PM

I agree!

(Beethoven became deaf as he grew older though)

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: From disabilities birth abilities... - December 29th 2009, 03:32 AM

i think having disabilities can make people even more determined to overcome them and do something amazing.. a lot of people feel like they have a point to prove i suppose. it's amazing how a lot of the most talented people in history have some disability or another though.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: From disabilities birth abilities... - January 2nd 2010, 03:01 PM

I totally agree with you on this post and I really wish that people weren't that way with me, but unfortunately, some are and I hate being told I can't because I'm blind. I can't even walk down to the store that is right across the street from my house because people are to perinoid that I'll get hit by a car or something, all of my cousins can that live with me and that come over and some of them are younger than me, I feel that they think I'm not smart or something, all I am is blind. It is amazing what those people you described can do, this happens because they use there disability as a strength, not a weakness, they let it give them power, a power that people with disabilities might not have, the power to overcome something that might as well be considered tragic to those around them. Also, in order to overcome a disability, they have to have an amazing family support behind them, if someone grows up without that support, they can't, until they are older, overcome the disability because they may have people around them that put them down a lot, I don't have this to much but it happens enough to me to the point where I sometimes think I can't and hate my disability but in the end, I think about how different I would be without it, how if I didn't have a disability, I wouldn't be the person I am, I would be totally different and I hate knowing that. People have asked me before if I want my sight and i tell them that it would be nice to see things but that i don't think I would want it because then that would ruin what i'm used to and what I think of the world. I love how my disability enables me to think of the way things look differently than those that are sighted, I love how I always have a challenge.

Okay...sorry this is so long and does it even make sense?

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: From disabilities birth abilities... - January 5th 2010, 02:27 PM

In my opinion, when you have something holding you back it makes you more determined to push forwards for your dreams and such. At the end of the day it depends on the individual and whether they are willing to find ways around the disability and overcome it to do something great!

Closed Thread