TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

spelling trouble - February 25th 2010, 06:51 PM

at the moment im having spelling trouble, i guess i always have had spelling trouble but recently im noticing it more and more i think its because of i am doing more written work again and stuff, i often find myself wrongly spelling words that are everyday words and often writting words twice, and adding in letters the thing is computers have a spell checker and peaces of paper dont have spell checkers, so i can check my spelling on the computer easily but when it comes to work notes i cant.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: spelling trouble - February 25th 2010, 06:57 PM

You may have what you call Dyslexia. What you described sounds like it. You should get assessed for it. If you do have dyslexia there are ways to be helped. And you will be supported

You can get better.

xx

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: spelling trouble - February 26th 2010, 04:08 PM

thats what i am wondering but the thing is if i do have dyslexia why was not picked up at school and when saw the educational pyscologist at my first college ? why am i notceing it more now ? i mean like in school i knew i was a bad speller because of the spelling programe on the computers i strugled with some words thing is though i can read fine, though i do sometimes strugle with long words. and i always get the words wrong like when i want to write threw as in through i will put crawled threw the table knowing what i mean and then when i take my work notes into work they tell me i have got the wrong word and im like what and then they show me and they tell me i got the wrong word for the sentence i also get their and there mixed up, and i always get my i and e's the wrong way round.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: spelling trouble - February 26th 2010, 04:21 PM

Hey Lydia,

As I'm sure you know, we are not medical professionals and we cannot give you a diagnosis. What you are describing does sound like Dyslexia. I would recommend seeing your doctor or, if you have one, a learning support centre at your college. They will assess you. Dyslexia ranges from mild to severe and all the stages in between. If you struggle with reading, read slowly or find it difficult to pronounce long words, or have difficulty writing thoughts down on paper, it is worth getting assessed.

One of my close family members has Dyslexia. He finds it difficult to order the letters within a word, his handwriting is almost illegible, he finds it difficult to vocalise words in the correct order. He has however obtained the support he needed and now has a good job although he still struggles with it. You can get help and support.

I hope this helps.
Marie.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: spelling trouble - February 26th 2010, 04:52 PM

its more the spelling than reading but i do find myself strugeling with long words.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BabyIndia Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: India

Re: spelling trouble - February 26th 2010, 10:44 PM

Hiya, I was diganoised with Dysleixa around 3 years ago, I was always a really bad speller at school but could read really well and was ahead of my reading group. When I got to college they asked if Id like a test so I thought yeah why not, Maybe I am dyslexic, If I am I could get help..

So I got tested and have mild dysleixa, I was puzzled as to why the school never picked up on it but the college did..

In my opionion:

The school don't really have the time/money to test every single student where as colleges get extra money to test kids, and get extra money to help those with learning difficulties.

I'd get tested tbh, because there is quite alot they can do for people with dislexia.

Closed Thread