TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Silverseven Offline
Average Joe

Autism - July 9th 2010, 06:08 AM

Does having autism increase the chance of other mental illness? Cuz im basically falling apart ( as i mentioned on another post) from depression and homicidal and suicidal thoughts that have plagued me for months now. It feels like no one understands us autistic individuals , let alone can they tolerate or consider us more than just "defective people". =/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: Autism - July 9th 2010, 12:51 PM

Not that I know, I have mild autism, but no other mental illnesses whatsoever. To be honest I'm not really judged by others because most people don't even know about it. I even tend to forget it myself a lot of the time. I don't believe any mental disability needs to have an impact on your life, it doesn't change who you are or stop you having a nice personality. Be proud of who you are as a person.

However, to answer your question, the reaction of others to your disability could have an affect on your likelihood to suffer depression. In this case, it's not your disability at all, but rather how others are treating you that might be the problem.

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Autism - July 9th 2010, 01:17 PM

Not that I know of; however, I am not a medial professional.

It could be the way people are treating you, as sometimes people do not understand serve cases and may look down on you.

I would go to the doctor or some other professional to work through the depression ect and you can asks them.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Autism - July 9th 2010, 07:48 PM

Agreed with DarkSeph. My older brother unofficially has High-Functioning Autism. He was tested for such as a child, but my mom never let them label him, so he'd be in normal classes. He has all the symptoms, but he did alright in school.

He doesn't have Depression, he was treated pretty well in school. He had a great sense of humor, so people liked chatting with him. He was invited to some parties, would hang out like normal, and everything. He doesn't even know he was ever tested for Autism, since this happened when he was around 3-4 years old. People don't know it, except a few would say "Your brother seems, erm, different" or whatever. I didn't even know he had been tested for Autism, up until a couple years ago when my mom mentioned it to me, I forget how the conversation came to be. And my brother still doesn't know.

So most likely, the Depressive feelings, and even the anger, are caused by the way people treat you, more than anything. Though, Autistic individuals can get angry easier, so I guess that'd explain the angry feelings you've had.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: Autism - July 9th 2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ArcAngel- View Post
Though, Autistic individuals can get angry easier, so I guess that'd explain the angry feelings you've had.
I think that one's a myth. People tend to treat autistic individuals very carefully, like they'll explode into a mental fit or something without any provocation. I think being treated "differently" like that can make an autistic individual more frustrated than anything else.

I'm an extremely difficult person to make angry myself. It's just not who I am. Some people are naturally angrier, autistic or not.

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Autism - July 9th 2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSeph View Post
I think that one's a myth. People tend to treat autistic individuals very carefully, like they'll explode into a mental fit or something without any provocation. I think being treated "differently" like that can make an autistic individual more frustrated than anything else.

I'm an extremely difficult person to make angry myself. It's just not who I am. Some people are naturally angrier, autistic or not.
Well see, every Autistic person I've met, with varying levels of Autism (I helped out in the Special Needs class) got angry/frustrated easier, and my brother gets annoyed/frustrated easier, despite never knowing of his Autism. And his friend with Aspergers Syndrome gets angry easily too.

So it actually seems to be a common trait, though much like anything else, not everyone has all the symptoms. Thus where your story would come into the picture.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Autism - July 10th 2010, 11:16 AM

im not sure, i has as perges syndrome (a mild form of autisim) but i also have ADHD my doctor said ADHD can be linked to depression, and from there sent me to counselling and told me if the counselling didnt work to go bk and see him and he will prescribe me anti depressants. i know theres a link between ADHD and depression, but im not sure if theres a link between austisim and depression.
i get what you mean by you feel mis understood by people who dont havve autisim, i sometimes do aswell, i find its more in social situations than anywhere, i think its more becuse ppeople notice that we arent what they think is ''normal'' and then judge us on that, and think we are odd and werid, i find it incredibly hard at college, i cant tell if people are teasing me or just joking around with me, so i just laugh and then theyre like why are you laughing we are dissing you. i just laugh along as i cant tell if there laughing with me or at me.
if people understood autisim and actulay new what its like, then they would probably understand, but i never tell anyone at college that i have a form of autisim as i fear they will avoid me the plague or something.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

Closed Thread