TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nancy nckname:Bliss

Question I am not sure? - February 7th 2011, 02:26 AM

Ok, so I am not sure if this is the right place to put this but it is related. I am wondering if this is what I think it is. Sometimes when I read everything looks like a bunch of letters and when I do math sometimes everything is jumbled up. I think I may have some sort of disorder or something but I am not sure. I am really ashamed of it and I don't like telling people but I need to know. Thanks and sorry for wasting your time.

R.I.P Jimmy-The Rev-Sullivan<3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Soubi-fan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I am not sure? - February 7th 2011, 04:59 PM

This is not a diagnosis, because you need to speak to a professional to get one, but you could possibly have dyslexia.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: I am not sure? - February 8th 2011, 06:52 AM

It sounds like Dyslexia and/or Dyscalculia (basically like dyslexia but in numbers.) But since I'm a doctor I can't diagnose you. I suggest you talk to your parent/s, or a teacher about your concerns and maybe go see a doctor if possible who might be able to take steps in the direction of diagnosing you.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TwilightDwells Offline
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Re: I am not sure? - February 9th 2011, 11:53 PM

Sounds like Dyslexia, my friend has the same problem. But I wouldn't know. Maybe see a doctor?

I will forgive, but I'll never forget.
Love is something earned, not gifted.
The Fallen Angel's cry for their beloved.
~ Katie

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I am not sure? - February 10th 2011, 05:10 AM

There's a plethora of possible explanations, anything from the learning disorders already mentioned to William's Syndrome, specific language impairment (SLI), alexia, strephosymbolia, and the list goes on and on. Many of these disorders have very similar symptoms so they are differentiated on the basis of the areas of the brain affected, performance on diagnostic tests, onset and so forth. Many of these have sub-groups, such as surface dyslexia, neglect dyslexia, semantic dyslexia, phonological dyslexia, deep dyslexia and attentional dyslexia. So even though dyslexia or alexia (differentiated by onset) may be a reason, there's still the task of determining which type it is. Some disorders don't have such complex classification, such as William's Syndrome or even simpler classification, strephosymbolia.

Unfortunately, on the Internet, there are many factors that are needed to be known that you cant provide and we cant know from merely asking you questions or having you freely post.

Or, it could be a visual disorder that has nothing to do with your brain. Or, there can be combinations.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: I am not sure? - February 10th 2011, 04:11 PM

if it is math dyslexia or dyslexia , dont feel ashamed of it, i have math dyslexia and it does get very fraustrating and confusing but it shouldnt be anything to be ashamed off, maybe talk to a teacher and see if they can refer you to a educational physcolojist. (my math dyslexia was not picked up on until i was 16)

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
:)
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Re: I am not sure? - February 18th 2011, 02:28 AM

If you have a learning disability, please DO advise in your counsler if you have one, because it's their job to GUIDE you. Also, talk to any of your teachers about this problem with him or her. If it's math dyslexia, your teacher can take the neccesary steps to aid you in math because you need extra attention. Do have someone refer you to a someone who specializes in learning disabilities It's perfectly okay to have a disability, you can get on by with a little help in the world Lastly, talk to your parents about this!! There is NOTHING to be ashamed of, even I have a disability too and I find that when I get the neccessary help, I am able to perform well in school.

Laugh as much as you breathe
and love as long as you live

Closed Thread