TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Dyslexia? - April 27th 2011, 04:24 PM

I haven't been properly diagnosed with dyslexia, yet, I feel that it might be what my problem is. Not necessarily problem. But, lately, I've been reading some of my words backwards, or getting two words mixed up. Also, when a friend was reading off a phone number for me, I got almost all the numbers jumbled up when I reread it back to him to make sure. If anyone has any information on dyslexia, or could point me in the right direction, it would be a great help

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Dyslexia? - April 28th 2011, 11:09 PM

Dyslexia isn't one syndrome per say, it's a blanket term because there are multiple types of dyslexia, depending on what is actually impaired and the time of onset. Another issue is there are many disorders that are very similar to dyslexia or have dyslexia as one of the possible symptoms. So overall, if someone has dyslexia, it doesn't provide any details regarding their impairment. Furthermore, dyslexia has high co-morbidity with related disorders, so a dyslexic person can present with symptoms not characteristic of dyslexia.

It's more of a social stigma to say dyslexic people read things backward because many dyslexics don't read words backwards. Instead, they may jumble up some letters of the word or substitute incorrect letters. That said, a minority do read some words backward.

Before anything is ever suggested about dyslexia, your vision needs to be assessed. Adults can have dyslexia but not diagnosed in childhood because they're able to compensate. However, they don't suddenly begin misreading certain words right away. It's a progressive introduction to it, so I'm leaning toward visual impairments. The exception to this is if there is sudden brain injury, tumour, effects after stroke, etc... .

Your best bet would be to first see if this continues or is only an isolated case. If it continues, then I would go to the eye doctor to see if there are any visual impairments that could explain this. If there are no visual impairments and the symptoms continue, then I would get checked out for any tumours or brain damage via CT and MRI scans. If that is clean and symptoms continue, then you need to see a neuropsychologist. Be aware of all the symptoms that occur as it can help lead to a diagnosis. Alternatively, it's an isolated case best explained by something such as sudden drop in blood pressure, hypoglycemia, TIA (less likely but still possible), tumour, hyperglycemia, etc... .

If it's isolated to only particular contexts, then you're looking either at a combination of the alternatives with a neuropsychological impairment or just a neuropsychological impairment relating to very specific information. Without additional information, seizures may be a possibility, such as simple partial seizures.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Dyslexia? - April 29th 2011, 12:22 AM

My vision already been assessed and I've been wearing glasses since I was a Sophomore in high school, so basically around 15/16 years old. Every two years or so, I get them rechecked. I also know that I have gotten astigmatism in my eyes since my first eye exam (this is what my doctor told me last time I was in and that was a little over a year and a half ago).

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Dyslexia? - April 29th 2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonPants View Post
My vision already been assessed and I've been wearing glasses since I was a Sophomore in high school, so basically around 15/16 years old. Every two years or so, I get them rechecked. I also know that I have gotten astigmatism in my eyes since my first eye exam (this is what my doctor told me last time I was in and that was a little over a year and a half ago).
Do the symptoms you mentioned in the first post occur regularly or were they only in that one case?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Dyslexia? - April 29th 2011, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
Do the symptoms you mentioned in the first post occur regularly or were they only in that one case?
Well, I only notice it when people mention it. Or when I'm reading something and I get the words jumbled up. This has only been occurring recently, only on occasion.

Closed Thread