TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Question Thrombocytosis: High Blood Platelet Count - June 21st 2011, 04:48 AM

Basically I don't really get it, all I know is there is something going on with my bone marrow and it's producing more blood platelets than it should. Even using google I don't really get it. All I get is that there is something wrong with my bone marrow, and that it's bad and rare. Can you guys understand anything more than what I get from it? And what can it mean, I haven't been able to visit the hematologist to find out exactly what's causing it because I also understand that there's something that causes it. But I don't know what can cause it. Will it interfere with my daily life? Has it already and I just didn't know?

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
dipka Offline
I gotta say what’s on my mind…
Average Joe

Re: Thrombocytosis: High Blood Platelet Count - June 22nd 2011, 06:01 PM

I cant help much Im affraid. As I understand their are many different things that can be wrong with blood platelets.
The best thing for you do to would be to ask you doctor or whoever is treating you for whatever it is you have to explain it/answere any questions you have.
Could you do this?
all the best x

You have just read Dipka's forum post. Dipka is a HelpLINK mentor who is allays happy to help, please just let me know. Also, check out my profile for more about me
Dipka x

IMPORTANT!! When replying partiqually if I started the tread please can people read
the following thread
http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f122-...ngs-propperly/

In that thread poast 6 clearly state's what coulors I can see best so please can you use these if possible so I can read your reply.

Some of my favourite quotations
*what does not destroy you as a warrior makes you stronger
*the tree that is slowest to grow bears the sweetest fruit
*when the sky is at it's darkest is when you can see the stars
*Ancient stone cannot be polished without friction, nor a warrior perfected without trials
*The warrior who has the ability to move mountains begins by carrying small stones

Help-link Mentor 29/6/11

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Thrombocytosis: High Blood Platelet Count - June 23rd 2011, 01:32 PM

Hi,

I just did a quick google search on this and it seems the Mayo Clinic seems to have a bit of information.
From what I've read, it can be caused by an infection or a bone marrow or blood disease.
When it's caused by an infection, it's known as reactive Thrombocytosis and when caused by a blood or bone marrow disease, it's either autonomous, Essential or primary Thrombocytosis or essential thrombocythemia.
Most of the time, people have no symptoms and it's noticed in blood tests.

The link to the Mayo Clinic site is:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thrombocytosis/DS01088

I really hope this helps.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Re: Thrombocytosis: High Blood Platelet Count - June 23rd 2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipka View Post
I cant help much Im affraid. As I understand their are many different things that can be wrong with blood platelets.
The best thing for you do to would be to ask you doctor or whoever is treating you for whatever it is you have to explain it/answere any questions you have.
Could you do this?
all the best x
Actually I can't, what happened was is I had gone in for a routine blood test, I have pre-diabetes level blood sugar so I get one every so often, well it showed the thrombocytosis, so my PCP scheduled another blood test a month later and it showed up again, problem is we didn't know at the time of the lab work that our insurance had lapsed, we are not by any means a financially stable family, we are poor, so we are still making payments many months later, almost a year actually. So I can't get the referral to the hematologist until we finish the payments. So yeah, no way I can actually find out what's causing it just yet, but we've known about it for months.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Re: Thrombocytosis: High Blood Platelet Count - June 23rd 2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cz123094 View Post
Hi,

I just did a quick google search on this and it seems the Mayo Clinic seems to have a bit of information.
From what I've read, it can be caused by an infection or a bone marrow or blood disease.
When it's caused by an infection, it's known as reactive Thrombocytosis and when caused by a blood or bone marrow disease, it's either autonomous, Essential or primary Thrombocytosis or essential thrombocythemia.
Most of the time, people have no symptoms and it's noticed in blood tests.

The link to the Mayo Clinic site is:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thrombocytosis/DS01088

I really hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll have to check out that link, but I don't think it's an infection because it showed up on two blood tests a month or more apart.

Closed Thread