TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kaya Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question September 8th 2011, 08:18 PM

Hey everyone,

I've wanted to do disability related workshops for a really long time. I want them to be practical, useful, and inspiring. The age group can range from kids to adults. The main aim is to educate and facilitate development of people with disabilities, while providing a way to learn about more coping strategies and practice them during workshops. Please tell me, what helped you to cope with disability? If you have a friend or a relative with a disability you can also write about their experiences. Please, list the points or topics that are essential for such workshops.

Take care & be safe

Don't be shy, please put some comments on this page.

Hopes are to keep us alive, dreams are to make us fly, both are to be found around so keep searching =)

Last edited by Minerva McGonagall; September 13th 2011 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Merging posts.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Workshops ideas, please help!!! - September 12th 2011, 07:24 PM

Maybe do a painting workshop, where they can paint something or someone that has inspired them in the past. Reading workshops are great, since many people with disabilities, such as learning or genetic disabilities, don't have the luxury of being able to read a book.

Also, I've found that doing outdoor workshops really help and let's everyone involved enjoy each others company while learning. If there are any nature preserves, or nature walk places near you, I suggest you look into that as well.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
The lightgreenness. :D
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Workshops ideas, please help!!! - September 13th 2011, 02:28 AM

I'm sorry for the late response, but I do have some ideas for you to consider. I will edit them into this post when I am on my laptop.

Ideas to possibly consider:
Firstly, I think you should think about what you would like to achieve with these workshops. Is there anything specific you would like to accomplish? What message do you want to give to those attending? How could you help people who may have a wide range of disabilities? I also think you could think about a location for these workshops. Have something to accommodate everyone, in the sense of people who have psychical disabilities. Once you have all of that stuff taken care of, and I might be forgetting something, then you can think about what type of workshop you want to provide.

Being disabled with cerebral palsy, personally, things that helped me to cope was knowing that I wasn't alone. Just because I'm disabled, doesn't mean that I'm unlike other people. I can do mostly what someone without a disability could do, but perhaps in a different way.

I hope this has helped you. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions, or if I can be of any assistance to you. I'd be happy to help. :]

Last edited by Minerva McGonagall; September 13th 2011 at 05:05 AM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kaya Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Workshops ideas, please help!!! - September 15th 2011, 06:37 PM

Thank you so much for the ideas,

I really like the idea of making the workshops outside, but it might be a little cold for that. The reading activity is also essential, I can actually try to invite local writers to make the workshops more exciting.

It is also true that the venue must be accessible for people with different disabilities to get around easily. Maybe, I'll contact a local welfare agency for children and families to see if they can lend me some working space for that matter. The thing is that in the rehabilitation centre that I've used to work in there were people with different health conditions. Moreover, their age ranged from 4-5 to 33. Hence, I really need a variety of topics and activities, so that everyone will be included in the process.

As for the aim, I want participants to freely communicate with each other, while feeling safe and welcomed. At the same time they are to learn new things and just enjoy themselves.

Sorry, if this one was too long,
Thanks one more time

I'll be happy to continue this thread

Hopes are to keep us alive, dreams are to make us fly, both are to be found around so keep searching =)

Closed Thread