TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Agony Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 17,345, Level: 19 Points: 17,345, Level: 19 Points: 17,345, Level: 19

Is this an addiction? - June 14th 2012, 05:54 AM

I think I'm addicted to medicine in general. For instance, sleeping pills don't work on me very well but I would take 3-4 every night just for the way I would feel the next day, I also am constant taking Advil (for pain) but I think I just take whatever I can find to see what happens....I'm not like trying to OD or anything I just do it to do it. Yes, it's probably extremely stupid of me but it's almost like I can't stop..like its a habit or something. Any ideas? I would like to stop.

When I'm sad I think, "I got a jar of dirt, I got a jar of dirt!"

You can't change fate, but you can change your attitude towards it.
Former user: xArchDreamerx

Became a HelpLINK mentor on July 13th, 2013
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAnna Offline
Anna Banana
Average Joe

Name: Anna

Points: 8,107, Level: 13 Points: 8,107, Level: 13 Points: 8,107, Level: 13

Re: Is this an addiction? - June 14th 2012, 12:50 PM

Hey
Yeah unfortunately this is an addiction, I had this exact same thing, it can get pretty bad if you don't stop.
I think the first thing you need to do is get rid of the pills, or if you need them for like injuries let someone else hold them for you and then get them at specific times of the day that might work.
You should tell someone like a doctor, maybe get a checkup because drugs are really dangerous, especially pain killers and sleeping pills - they're really easy to OD on, I OD'd by accident once, so be careful, yeah?

I've been through something similar and I'm always here so PM me if you want
Stay strong,
Anna

I am not afraid to keep on living
I am not afraid to walk this world alone

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
I can't get enough

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28

Re: Is this an addiction? - June 24th 2012, 09:02 AM

Hey Ash,

Firstly, this does sound like an addiction, because it sounds like you can't stop. Taking medication when you don't need them, or taking more than the recommended dose, can be really dangerous. If you've taken anything recently, I would highly recommend going to a doctor for a check up because depending on the medication, they can do horrible things to your organs, like your liver.

Anna had a really good suggestion of getting someone else to hold your medications. If you haven't already started doing this I'd really recommend it because then you can still use them, but only safely. I'd also recommend removing any pills from your home that you don't need or don't use, like out of date medication and any pills you don't actually need, and also only keeping a small amount in the house and just replacing them regularly if you do need them. This way there won't be so many for you to take.

I'd also recommend that you talk to someone you trust about this. A parent possibly, or your doctor, because sometimes if you have an addiction you need help to overcome it.

Take care.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
xxEmyxx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,147, Level: 12 Points: 7,147, Level: 12 Points: 7,147, Level: 12

Re: Is this an addiction? - June 24th 2012, 09:19 AM

Well, this is an addiction... You can talk to the doctor or your parents and ask them for help. This can become very dangerous so get help as fast as you can....

Take care...
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Points: 43,443, Level: 29 Points: 43,443, Level: 29 Points: 43,443, Level: 29

Re: Is this an addiction? - June 24th 2012, 01:58 PM

This does sound like an addiction. I used to do this, but I'm trying to stop and it's been almost a week since I last did it. I think you need to tell someone like a friend, therapist/counsellor, parent, or any other family member that you think you can trust in. They maybe able to help you get the help you need.

Member Since 1/15/2012
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
survivor16 Offline
Like a skyscraper. <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Shelby

Points: 11,340, Level: 15 Points: 11,340, Level: 15 Points: 11,340, Level: 15

Re: Is this an addiction? - June 29th 2012, 01:04 AM

As most everyone has said, I think this is an addiction. I think you should tell someone about this, and they will be able to help you stop. There may be more underlying issues for why you are doing this, and maybe someone can help you take the ones you need at the right amount, ect.

There are many options! I'm so glad that you reached out. I wish you the best of luck. Get rid of those meds!

Shelby

Closed Thread