TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
fuzzy wuzzy <3's you
Average Joe

Name: Lillian (Lilli)

Multiple addictions. - September 28th 2012, 10:23 AM

I actually have multiple addictions, some more serious than others.
Addiction #1 Cleaning. I am a huge neat-freak, like to the point of obsessively cleaning, and orignizing anything, and everything that gets in my way.

Addiction #2 Painting my nails. I used to be a bad nail biter so now that i've over come the nail biting habbit i've gotten to the point of constantly needing them painted and looking at best.

Addicition #3 Cutting. I've been cutting since I was 15 and I am now almost 18. I don't even think I need to go into details about this one.

Addiction #4 Shoplifting. This is somthing I just kinda started a few months ago at the beginning of the summer. It started out as somthing small like taking lipsticks and littel things and now I take anything I want just because I can.

Addiction #5 Eating. I eat everything. I mean i'm not like over weight or anything i'm super skinny but I eat like a trucker.

~~you doubted me then, but look at me now~~

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Multiple addictions. - September 29th 2012, 06:32 PM

Hey there! Since you gave us 5 different addictions to examine, I'm going to respond to this in the form of a list. Hopefully, it makes it a little easier for you to read, since my thoughts can get a bit jumbled at times.

1. Wanting things to be organized and in their place all the time isn't necessarily a bad thing. After all, it's much better than being a slob and having things thrown in places where you'll never see them again. Do you find that you only organize your own things or do you do it to other people's things when it isn't necessarily wanted? The second one is the point at which it starts to become an issue. People all have different ways of keeping track of things and organizing their personal space. If you're meddling with that because you feel that it is not to your standards, you might want to take a step back. If you're tempted to clean something that doesn't belong to you, stop and ask yourself if it's truly necessary and if the other person would appreciate you cleaning up after them.

2. Trust me, keeping your nails painted isn't something that needs to be changed. The fact that doing so is keeping you from biting your nails is great! That's a much worse habit than always having to have your nails look their best. For now, keep painting your nails when you feel like it. It can be so relaxing to pamper yourself a bit and it'll keep your nails looking great.

3. Cutting is definitely a behavior that you need to work on stopping. As someone who has struggled with this addiction, I know how difficult it can be to relinquish that feeling of control that self-harming gives you. However, it really doesn't do anything for you in the long run. All it will do is leave you with nasty scars and the feeling that you'll always have something to hide. Have you looked at our handy little list of alternatives to self harm? If you haven't, check it out. It's a great resource with tons of things you can try in place of self harming. The best part? All of them are healthy and there's bound to be something that works for you!

4. Is there anyone that knows about your shoplifting addiction? If not, you might want to consider telling someone. It's totally understandable that you wouldn't want to tell your parents. After all, that might do more harm than good. But, try to think of a friend that you feel close enough to to let in on this secret. The point of this is accountability. Ask the person if they're willing to hold you to a promise not to shoplift. If you begin to feel the urge to steal something, give them a call and ask if they can go shopping with you to help encourage you not to steal. I know it sounds like an awkward situation, but having someone else know who is willing to encourage you and push you in the right direction is so beneficial.

5. Since your eating habits have not had a negative effect on your weight, I can't see it as being a serious health risk. Perhaps your metabolism is just extremely fast. If that's the case, it might be the reason you're so hungry all the time. The more calories your body burns, the more your body will crave food. The only thing I can really suggest is to try to make the things that you eat healthier. For example, if you're desperately craving a snack, try eating a fruit salad instead of a bag of chips. If you can balance healthy food with your eating habits, you'll be good to go.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread