TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
acting101 Offline
Average Joe

Points: 15,403, Level: 18 Points: 15,403, Level: 18 Points: 15,403, Level: 18

Alcohol noob. - January 3rd 2013, 09:17 PM

(Sorry if this is the wrong section)

All throughout high school, my group of friends weren't big on drinking. Now that we've all gone away to university, they've started bringing alcohol to our get-togethers. I have no problem with this- I'm not against drinking or anything -but it's made me realize how little I know about alcohol. The crowd I'm with at university doesn't drink an awful lot, so I still haven't really experienced it.

On New Years we got together, and I was the only one not drinking. I would have, but I don't really know what to do with it. A friend of mine offered me a thingy of flavoured Smirnoff vodka, but I didn't do anything with it because I didn't know what to do xD They were all mixing stuff with like, pops, but I didn't know if certain drinks can only got with certain soda or what. I didn't want to ask them, because I felt kind of dumb.

So basically, my question is, are there any like... rules to drinking alcohol? Or any suggestions what a first time drinker should have?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
NINJA PRINCESS Offline
LiViNg In A cRaZy WoNdErLaNd
Not a n00b

Name: Alexis

Points: 8,439, Level: 13 Points: 8,439, Level: 13 Points: 8,439, Level: 13

Re: Alcohol noob. - January 4th 2013, 01:43 PM

To your first question there really isn't but there is and to your second one, Don't drink to much the first few times cause you will drink your self sick. Not a good thing you need to learn how to hold your liquor.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18

Re: Alcohol noob. - January 5th 2013, 12:33 PM

Rules from an ex-alcoholic:

1) Never start with mixed drinks, especially sugary ones. You will drink more than you intended.
2) You're clear with beer. In my experience, it is nearly impossible to get "sick drunk" off of Pabst Blue Ribbon.
3) Alternate with water. Alcohol suppresses the action of anti-diuretic hormone, making you piss away H2O and dehydrating you. Drinking water is the best "hangover preventer."
4) Limit yourself. My happy place is 3-6 drinks. Find yours and go slow at first, it's easy to overshoot and wind up vomiting in a trash can.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.
Closed Thread