TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Triggering (SH): Internet addiction and self harm. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t114770-internet-addiction-self-harm/)

WhisperingSilence January 13th 2013 08:26 AM

Internet addiction and self harm.

Okay I need honest opinions here.

My dad seems to think I have an internet addiction because all I do at home is go on the internet. I can do other things such as see friends which I do once maybe twice a week , I also have a job part time two days a week, and I also go to karate once a week in the winter, twice a week in the spring and summer. And It's not like I spend every day all day on-line as I will go out for a walk to the shops and can still do other things. I still manage to get my paperwork for work done, and I do manage to keep my room somewhat tidy. But the internet is a distraction for me, if I'm on line I'm less likely to cut myself or burn myself. But if I'm somewhere where I cannot access the internet, I am more likely to self harm. As soon as I get home I go on-line.

Am I addicted ?

I've had counselling and both my counsellors have told me to use the internet less and I guess in some ways I do use it less.

i_like_black January 13th 2013 08:52 AM

Re: Internet addiction and self harm.

(Mental health professionals always seem anti-internet to me.)

Well, I'm a gamer, (sort of if you count RuneScape), and the internet makes for a wonderful distraction for me, because I actually have to concentrate on what I'm doing most of the time in order to have any idea what's going on. There have been times when I've been feeling like I need to SH, then got caught up doing something else, and the urge has completely disappeared - so I would agree with you that the internet is a highly valid distraction technique.

Parents are less likely to understand this. They come from a generation where the internet was not as advanced, and they grew up without it. Furthermore, there was a lot less SH (or a lot less known about it/less people admitting to it) than for us. For them, TV was the thing they used - I know for me, TV simply doesn't keep me grasped a lot of the time and my mind will wander freely, so it's shite as a distraction.

If your internet use is getting in the way of your functioning, or you can't leave the computer to do things like hang out with your family and friends, then you might have an issue. If not, and it's merely recreational, then I don't think you have a problem.

Although, if you're brave and your parents are understanding, explaining the SH situation to them might be beneficial.

On the other hand, you're an adult, and if you get too sick of your parent's rules and expectations, you can always get your own place.

:)

WhisperingSilence January 13th 2013 09:44 AM

Yeah it doesn't stop me functioning I still go out, I still have a job, I still do things. I have karate. My parents would never understand the s/h. I wish i could move out but my job doesn't pay enough so I have to stay at home.

sapphirediamonds January 13th 2013 02:31 PM

I think it's fine cause you can still function and it's like a distraction from hurting yourself in anyway. I don't even really understand how it could be an addiction if it doesn't stop you from anything else in life :p

Kindred January 13th 2013 02:59 PM

My parents used to worry about the amount of time I spent on the computer. I explained it was a distraction, and they said that was the point- when I was engaging with a computer, I wasn't engaging with the outside world. I was in my own bubble, away from the challenges and triumphs of life.

Thought this was relevant :p Personally, I took no notice, but eh. Thought I'd contribute.