TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
marvelous123 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Mila

for how long can the side affects of drug detoxing last? + Is this normal? - April 5th 2013, 09:20 PM

So, about two months ago, my boyfriend went cold turkey off narcotics. It took about two weeks to recover from the withdrawal symptoms, but now he still says that he's dealing with a kind of emotional side of it. I can tell he's a bit different now, he seems a lot more distant and kinda of more emotionless. Like he doesn't feel much emotion anymore, in a way. Like he can't express any emotion or feel much of it, and I don't understand...Is this normal? And how long will it last? Is there anyway to fix it?

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: for how long can the side affects of drug detoxing last? + Is this normal? - April 6th 2013, 02:40 PM

Depending on the drugs he was using, it depends on a number of factors.
-how much he was taking
-what he was taking.
-Body fat
-how long he has been taking it.
-and other factors.

The best thing to do is to stay supportive. Congratulate him every week or so he has stayed "cold turkey". Getting off any drug is a non-ending effort. The first time I stopped smoking, even 4 years down the line, I went everyday wanting a smoke. But i'm sure he has the courage and the discipline to get through it, and having amazing support from his girlfriend will help even more.

Take care,
-Corrie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
marvelous123 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: for how long can the side affects of drug detoxing last? + Is this normal? - April 6th 2013, 07:48 PM

Thanks. We kinda decided to take a break so we could work things out. But were still talking and everything, so I will just be encouraging as much as I can

(#4 (permalink)) Old
walk around in O O O O
Not a n00b

Name: Lucky/Lux

Re: for how long can the side affects of drug detoxing last? + Is this normal? - April 10th 2013, 03:31 AM

It's not uncommon; with withdrawal and abstinence after long-term drug use (particularly narcotics) physiological and psychological effects seem to blur eventually... and I'm not sure if that's necessarily true (some argue that changes in brain chemistry [physiological] could be the cause of related psychological effects, and that certain psychological effects may include perceived physiological or rather psychosomatic responses) but as I said, coming off of a drug or drugs, especially narcotics, can have some very long-lasting effects of both a physical and a mental nature.

He may even feel echoes of physical withdrawal symptoms after being clean for a year or more (and while I can attest to this being completely valid, it's also a red flag indicating that maybe he's relapsed or will feel more pressure to relapse in order to escape the feeling)

I don't suppose a person's ever really the same after they've been dependent upon a narcotic, so psychological effects, while numbness and very intense emotion seem to be standard follow-ups to withdrawal, seem to even out in time but may be more long-lasting than the user imagines because the brain actually will process chemicals differently after building a tolerance (especially a long-lasting tolerance) to a substance that mimics neurotransmitters, causing subtle changes to how an individual might feel at any given time, and it's very difficult to gage how long it takes for the brain to "restabalize," what and how much of what to attribute to changes in brain chemistry, and then (perhaps even more difficult to anticipate) how the experience of addiction itself will inform a person's opinions, perceptions, and emotional responses.

If this hasn't left you with useful advice, I did try but I also leave you with my admiration, because it's very difficult to be the loved one of someone who's addicted to drugs, and it takes courage to stand with them through it.

Wishing you the best of everything,
Lucky

"This cosmic dance
of bursti
ng decadence and withheld permissions
twists all our arms colle
ctively,
but if sweetn
ess can win, and it can,
then I'll sti
ll be here tomorrow
to hig
h-five you yesterday, my friend.
Peace.
"

- Royal Tart Toter
(Adventure Time)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: for how long can the side affects of drug detoxing last? + Is this normal? - April 15th 2013, 04:45 PM

Good answer Lucky. There is a definite link between brain chemistry, physiology and psychology. In the case of opiates, changes in the opioid peptide receptors and possibly even neuron structure can occur that are very long-lasting. Fortunately neural adaptation works both ways, so with continued abstinence his mind will likely heal over time. As for the emotional issues, you're probably familiar with endorphins (the proposed source of "runner's high" and other pleasurable feelings). Heroin (I'm assuming it was H) acts at these receptors as well, so I assume withdrawal could involve some emotional numbing. Since he quit "cold turkey" I'm assuming he's taking nothing now? Perhaps low dose codeine or morphine could be prescribed by a Dr? I don't know what is typically used for opiate withdrawal. Good luck

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
marvelous123 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: for how long can the side affects of drug detoxing last? + Is this normal? - April 15th 2013, 11:32 PM

No, it wasn't heroine, lol. It was percocet/tramadol. He's taking a low dose over the counter codeine (T1s).
But thanks for all the help guys

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: for how long can the side affects of drug detoxing last? + Is this normal? - April 19th 2013, 03:36 AM

Both are still opiates. Not quite as intense as smack but still pretty bad if he took high doses or for long duration.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

Closed Thread