TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Pulling my hair/picking my skin - May 3rd 2013, 02:45 PM

I have this problem, had it for a while now, and its left me feeling absolutely horrible inside, but i still have to do it. its like an addiction. i just cant stop even though i know what it results in. i pull my leg hairs out every opportuinity i get. i use tweezers my finger nails needles anything to pul out the hairs, ive picked n picked at ingorwn hairs that my legs like dusguting. they bleed and bruise and there's scabs everywhere. but i cant stop

''No pressure, no diamonds''

There may not always be a direct answer to a problem, but there is always a way to get through it.
Strength is the best quality of the human mind and body, and I believe everyone has it; whether they believe it or not. Look for that tiny glimmer of hope deep inside yourself and once you've found it let it blossom, glow and illuminate your life.

I'm always here if anyone wants to talk.

x x x

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Pulling my hair/picking my skin - May 3rd 2013, 11:07 PM

Hey I have a similar problem - if I get a pimple or a scab or even simply a loose bit of skin I will pick at it etc - my dr said its has a name its called something dermatitus or complsive skin picking. As for how to stop I'm not sure but I just thought I'd let you know I have this problem with skin picking too.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
floatingangel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Pulling my hair/picking my skin - May 4th 2013, 04:09 AM

hehe i do that too... i try to reduce it by doing stuff like painting my nails so i peel the paint off instead of peeling skin off
it's pretty useful actually, paint and peel~ though there's a limit to how long your nail will last. o.0 there's always toe nails

and the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid"

(#4 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Re: Pulling my hair/picking my skin - May 6th 2013, 01:38 PM

I can't stop no matter how hard I try. I cant show my legs to anyone, it looks like ive been self-harming on my legs coz of all the scabs n blood-blisters :/

''No pressure, no diamonds''

There may not always be a direct answer to a problem, but there is always a way to get through it.
Strength is the best quality of the human mind and body, and I believe everyone has it; whether they believe it or not. Look for that tiny glimmer of hope deep inside yourself and once you've found it let it blossom, glow and illuminate your life.

I'm always here if anyone wants to talk.

x x x

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PsyGwendok Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: David

Re: Pulling my hair/picking my skin - May 15th 2013, 03:39 AM

Hey Sabah. I have the exact same problem. It's called trychotillomania in case you don't know. Basically, I pull hair from my body, and I don't do it from just my legs, I've pulled from everywhere except for my eyelashes and eyebrows I think. The worst place is the hair, because it's where I feel exposed the most, but the legs is where I got the most scars because of the ingrown hairs.
It's tough to stop, and I've only managed to do it for a couple months, but try to keep your hands busy with like a stress relieving ball or something, and you'll probably end up pulling slightly less. It can get tough, I know, especially during the Summer when you may want to go to the beach and feel embarrassed because people think you have some skin condition or something, but just try to avoid pulling and to distract your hands on other objects or tasks.

I wish you the best of lucks, and that you try to pull less hair and pick less skin
Feel free to PM me for any tips/help or just regular chat.

David

I have trichotillomania and slight traces of OCD. I think of myself as friendly, and I'll gladly answer any PM's .

Be bold, and mighty forces
will come to your aid.

- Basil King

STAY STRONG

Closed Thread