TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - July 4th 2013, 11:58 PM

Jenny, a member of the Articles Team, has brought up some wonderful ideas for writing articles about various addictions and impulsive behaviors! After some discussion and brainstorming, I've come up with more concrete ideas about where we could go with these articles. If you're interested in writing (or co-writing) one of these articles, please state your interest here! Once you have a rough draft, you're welcome to create a new thread, so we can more easily keep track of which articles are in the "brainstorming" stage and which articles are in the "rough/final draft" stage.

1. Alcohol and Drug Addictions
We currently have one article on alcoholism, one article that briefly addresses various drugs, and another article that talks about using drugs/alcohol at parties. We haven't talked about nicotine, which is a drug commonly used by teens, so an article on smoking tobacco could be a great way to fill in the gaps! If you'd like to write an article about a specific drug, that could also be a great addition to the Substance Abuse section of our Articles database. Finally, I was thinking about writing an article that briefly explains how substance abuse occurs, and why it's so difficult for people to quit. If anyone is interested in co-writing that article with me, please state your interest here!

2. Internet Gaming Disorder
Internet Gaming Disorder is not listed as a "formal" diagnosis in the recently released DSM-5. With that being said, I think this article would be of interest to our community, and it could encompass elements such as social networking websites and online video games. The author of this article could summarize the research that's been done, look into support groups for people addicted to the internet/Facebook/video games/etc., and offer general tips for fighting these specific problems.

3. Pathological Gambling
Pathological gambling is a recognized impulse control disorder, and could go under Addictive Behaviors. This could also touch upon internet gambling - it's now easier than ever to blow money, when you don't have to go to Vegas or another area in the country where it's legal to gamble.

4. Managing Impulsive Behaviors
We could go in a few directions with this article. We could talk about mania/manic episodes, and how they can lead to impulsive decisions. There are certainly medical/pharmaceutical and therapeutic components to treating mania, which could be an article in of itself. There are also people who struggle with self-discipline, though, who don't necessarily struggle with mental disorders. I think it would be interesting if someone wrote an article on managing non-clinical impulsive behaviors, such as how to make and follow a budget when someone has a habit of going on shopping sprees or making poor decisions with purchases. This article could probably fall under the Lifestyle category (due to the financial aspect), but let's brainstorm here first and move it over to the Lifestyle category later on if it seems to be a better fit there.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - July 5th 2013, 02:17 PM

I'd be happy to draft one for Alcohol and Drug addictions, given that the other article I've been working on primarily is nearly done.
I'll start a thread once I can make some sort of start on drafting it.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jess

Points: 20,124, Level: 20 Points: 20,124, Level: 20 Points: 20,124, Level: 20

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - July 5th 2013, 10:11 PM

Excusing my general lack of input, with number 4 (managing impulsive behaviours) I may have some stuff that could be helpful due to it being a key target area in my own life.

With budgeting there's things like taking out cash once a week and once it's gone you're not allowed any more (which allows you to save), changing credit cards for debit (which means you're not spending money you don't have), freezing cards etc at the bottom of an ice cream tub full of water and NOT memorising the number, so that you have to wait for the water to melt before you can make the purchase.

There's also things like knowing exactly what you need to spend each week - how much is rent/board/mortgage, which bills do you have weekly, how much do you need for food, for transport, for medical costs, and then importantly, how much do you think you can allow to have as random spending money. I was told that an important part of budgeting is allowing yourself some leeway where possible - for example, "I have $30 I can do what I want with, maybe this week I'll go out for drinks with friends." But another week could be a new shirt, you know? It's about making it achievable and making it possible to stay sane.

It's also important to dress potential triggers of impulsive behaviour - everybody has them. If yours is spending, you might want to consider why you feel you need this item. If it's emotional eating, what's the emotion? Is there another way you could be comforted?

Other key aspects of impulsive behaviour in a clinical sense include things that are high-risk (driving recklessly etc), drug-related (which could be addressed elsewhere), and to do with promiscuity or self-injurious behaviours. Impulsivity that is related to mania I also know bits and pieces about, and a lot of that is first recognising that you're in a manic state, and then getting help to apply skills - often someone else helping to take a step back, wait a couple more minutes, see if it's going to be helpful or harmful long-term is a good way of addressing these behaviours. It's also important to understand the risks - so say if someone is behaving promiscuously but is using every safety measure available to them, then yes it's impulsive, but long-term the most likely issue is more often self-esteem based, or purely the person is a pleasure seeker.

Anyway I have a few ideas but nothing cohesive and given where I'm at currently I don't want to commit to writing an article, but those are just things that bounced out of me following suggestion number 4 for an article.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,912, Level: 37 Points: 67,912, Level: 37 Points: 67,912, Level: 37

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - July 6th 2013, 03:49 PM

I don't know if its a good idea or not. But I'd be quite happy to write an article on my experience of growing up with an alcoholic parent.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - July 6th 2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedusoidMycelium View Post
I don't know if its a good idea or not. But I'd be quite happy to write an article on my experience of growing up with an alcoholic parent.
I think that's an absolutely fantastic idea, personally - do you think a format like Robin and Christina's here might work well for that?

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - July 6th 2013, 04:58 PM

Yeah it probably work better as that , I've done personal articles in the past but it would probably work better as an interview format.

Videos team
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - July 6th 2013, 06:39 PM

I also think an article about parental alcoholism could be a great addition to the database. =) Many of our members may want to know how they can get help for themselves (ex. knowing when they can contact the authorities, going to Alateen meetings) and for their friends (ex. helping them cope, getting an adult involved if there is abuse/neglect). If you think an interview-style article would help you organize your thoughts, I can start working on questions and send them to you via PM. Once you've had a chance to answer those questions, you could create a new thread, and we could continue to edit from there. =)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - July 6th 2013, 07:08 PM

Yeah perhaps the article could be tied in with the interview like have the interview and the article all in one publishing ?

Yeah I know a couple of places that I use for help with my dads drinking (ones a website and ones a help-line)

Videos team
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - July 6th 2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah perhaps the article could be tied in with the interview like have the interview and the article all in one publishing ?

Yeah I know a couple of places that I use for help with my dads drinking (ones a website and ones a help-line)
Well, I assume instead of
Quote:
Getting Help

You can get assistance from the following helplines...
it says
Quote:
Do you know of any helplines which those in a similar situation could use?
Yes - there are some really great ones! One I use[d] a lot [is/]was...

Skittlify me up...
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - July 7th 2013, 08:26 AM

I love this idea for an article, Lydia. I can't "like" the post, so I wanted to give that feedback. I think this will help cover a large array of topics and FAQ with the interview style. I think an important thing to go over is how the teen can cope; it's hard to change your parents' behavior, but it's good to have coping strategies for those involved.

something burning?
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - July 7th 2013, 11:24 AM

Yeah I was going to mention about how you can't change your parent and they have to change to want the change (this is something I only really learned to accept the past two years or so).

I also think it would be important to mention how telling the right people is important.

Videos team
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - July 11th 2013, 11:33 PM

I want to thank everyone who has replied to this thread so far!

i_like_black, I love the suggestions you provided and will be sure to review those again, whenever someone (you, myself, or another team member) decides to get started on that article.

Raechel98 and MedusoidMycelium, if either of you get stuck at any point during the process, whether it's before you begin to write the article or after you've posted your first draft in a new thread, please don't hesitate to PM me!

We're almost halfway through the month and need an article for publication, so I'm also going to get started on an article tomorrow. I think I'll be going with the article that briefly explains how substance abuse occurs, and why it's so difficult for people to quit.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - July 12th 2013, 09:21 PM

Robin, I can work on an article for internet Gaming Disorder. I know a lot of things related to this topic, there are statistics in regards to how much time on average people spend online and other data and I know of some cool suggestions that help keep people offline (such as contacting internet service provider (ISP) and requesting to set a time the internet turns off and turns on each day)).

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - July 12th 2013, 10:15 PM

I'll be in turkey this tuesday but am taking my laptop with me so will hopefully be on-line for a couple of hours during my time in turkey so will be able to work on the article etc then .

Videos team
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - July 13th 2013, 02:16 AM

Kakorrhaphiophobia, thank you for volunteering to help out with that topic! =D

MedusoidMycelium, if you're going to be on vacation, you're not obligated to spend that time working on articles (but you're more than welcome to if you want!).

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - July 13th 2013, 07:07 AM

I know I'm not but when I'm out of the sun etc for a couple of hours a day I will be able to work on it etc

Videos team
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - July 14th 2013, 07:54 AM

Robin, you are welcome. I'll have time to start this tomorrow.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - August 8th 2013, 10:18 PM

I'm not sure if with my idea it would be better if it did at a sort of article combined with an interview. Also for this would I be able to stay annonymous just for this one article ?

Videos team
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - August 9th 2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if with my idea it would be better if it did at a sort of article combined with an interview. Also for this would I be able to stay annonymous just for this one article ?
That's an interesting question! I don't think we've ever had an anonymous article before, but back when we had the Avatar magazine, we allowed people to submit original works anonymously. This would probably be a question to ask Chess, who might have to confer with Rob.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - August 9th 2013, 10:17 PM

Yeah I might PM chess and ask - I usually wouldn't ask but I'm only wondering due to what the article/interview will contain (fights with knives, passings outs and social services ) so if possible I would rather remain annonymous.

Videos team
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,654, Level: 46 Points: 106,654, Level: 46 Points: 106,654, Level: 46

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - August 10th 2013, 12:46 AM

Hmm. I haven't considered that before. I'm not sure what the protocol is when it comes to anonymity in articles, so I'll get in touch with Rob and see what he says.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - August 17th 2013, 12:19 PM

Yeah I mean usually I wouldn't ask it's just given the subject etc - given most of my friends and family outside of the family home have no idea about my dad's drinking etc it would be easier and a-lot better for my family if I could stay annonymous for this one article.

Videos team
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,654, Level: 46 Points: 106,654, Level: 46 Points: 106,654, Level: 46

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - August 21st 2013, 02:18 AM

I've checked with Rob, and he said that writing it anonymously is fine. Just put 'By anonymous' instead of your name and you're all set.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - August 21st 2013, 08:32 PM

Ah okay thanks. Is it being done as an interview type style or a article article ?

Videos team
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - August 21st 2013, 11:37 PM

That's entirely up to you, Lydia. I know you did an "article-article" a while back that was fairly personal in nature, so I wouldn't mind if you did it again. If you feel you're lacking a sense of direction and an interview format would help, though, I could brainstorm with you via PM to see which questions might generate information you'd like to share with our readers.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - August 22nd 2013, 01:22 PM

Yeah I'm thinking an interview type article might be easier but then I also have an 'article article ' roughed out in my head but im wondering if an 'article article ' might sound too story like ? Either way I'd like to include the 6 C's in it.

Videos team
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - August 23rd 2013, 05:03 PM

How about this, then? You can try starting off with an article-article, and if you're still stuck after a few weeks, PM me so I can start to come up with interview questions. If you manage to write a rough draft for an article-article, PM me so I can review it, and we can debate whether it's a good format or would be better as an interview.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - August 23rd 2013, 06:57 PM

Yeah I'll do that. thanks.

Videos team
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - October 5th 2013, 05:56 PM

I'm thinking of titling the article I'm going to do for this 'behind closed doors' . as it kind of like sums up the whole secrecy of it too

Videos team
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - October 6th 2013, 06:18 PM

I like intriguing titles, but I know that for the Articles, we want to stick with straightforward titles. That way, it's easier for members to search for keywords (ex. "parents" and "alcohol") and find articles that are relevant to them.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - October 6th 2013, 06:52 PM

Ah okay - i might just start to write it and then let a title follow as am stuck for a title now

Videos team
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59

Re: Addiction and Impulsive Behavior Articles - October 6th 2013, 08:39 PM

I think it's okay if you title it later, I do the same thing sometimes. I find that when I'm writing something, sometimes it's easier to title after you've already written it so you can sort of pick out main ideas from what you've written to create a good title, if that makes sense?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
Closed Thread