TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LoneDreamer1997 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

ocd - March 3rd 2014, 06:53 AM

For three and a half years it was self harm. I have loads of addictions,I am severe ocd. The new problem causing one is money spending. I got an account with money after my dad died when I was only 12 and to help me get through ordeals I've blown through it. I was compulsive buying in crazy amounts because the money was there and it eased my depression to buy nice things I wanted,like spending close to a thousand dollars on anime,manga and merchandise,having to get front row seats to a concert so I felt better going by myself cause I have no friends,collecting and hoarding random crap...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: ocd - March 3rd 2014, 12:46 PM

Although you have severe OCD I think there's a boundary between that and coping with grief. It might seem like OCD because you can't seem to help yourself but spent it all but people when they've lost someone close to them, they all have various ways of trying to help themselves get over the loss of a loved one. In your case you decided to spend money on things or going to places as it took your mind of your dad's passing. This is a natural and completely normal response to when someone we love passes away.

I don't have severe OCD but I do have OCD and in the past I have been known to hoard things too. I always collected silly things like little computer screws or those little chain tags that come with new clothes, bent tins and so much more. I always thought to myself, "I may need them sometime!" or "I'll keep this just in case". I tackled the problem on my own by looking at each object and thinking, "Can I use this?" "How will I use it?" "Where will I use it?" "What would I use it for?" If I came up with answers where it turned out I didn't need it, had no idea what to use it for, how I was going to use it or where I was going to use it, I put it all into a bag and then I threw it out. It was such a hard thing to do from start to finish but after I finally got rid of it and looked at my bedroom, when I saw all that space I'd made, it felt so liberating! What I would suggest is, if you haven't already, chat to someone about your issues. Make sure you don't bottle them up inside. Do you have a family member you could talk to? Maybe someone from school like a teacher or school nurse? You could also consider chatting to your GP and see what help they can provide you with.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Usernames Suck Offline
Average Joe

Re: ocd - March 12th 2014, 03:21 PM

Hi,
I don't think the issues you're going through are necessarily related to OCD. I recommend doing some research about what OCD is and isn't before trying to self diagnose. However, that doesn't make your issues and your struggle with them less valid. People cope with grief in different ways, and people who feel like they're life is out of control in some way can develop issues like that, to put this in a really simplistic way. I recommend doing some research and I absolutely recommend seeing a therapist or seeking out help. A professional will be able to help you cope in more healthy ways that won't affect your life so much.

Closed Thread