TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ejsmith Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

only shopping makes me happy - December 8th 2014, 08:22 PM

For about a year now i have become very reliant on spending money. I go shopping at least twice every week and its beginning to be the only reason i actually leave the house, other than college. i don't have a job, therefore i rely on the money i get from my parents each month, but i get a feeling of sadness and worthlessness when i have no money to spend. However i still continue to go shopping with the very little money i have. if it gets to the point that i cannot go shopping due to having no money i stay at home feeling lost and quite depressed. shopping seems to be the only thing that makes me happy, but soon wears off.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
crotia Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: only shopping makes me happy - December 8th 2014, 08:56 PM

First of all
I think you've come to the right place.

And is theer anyone you could talk to?
Could it be an option to talk about this with your parents and if possible limit the amount of money you get. that way they might be able to help you get more responsible with money.

If only the thought is making you freak out then take it easy. Start small. You can do it.

Further more this sounds like a pretty serious thing to me. And your coming here shows you think that too. Maybe you should try to get help. Go to a counselor or therapist or something. You could talk about this with your parents or someone at school.

If it is the way it sounds you won't be able to be responsible in a few years when you need to be. And that is not your fault. It's just a bad and addictive way of dealing with your emotions. (And I do know a thing or two about that). A professional can help you before it gets out of hand.

Helping others sometimes makes it easier to feel good about yourself and help yourself.

So PM me if You want.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: only shopping makes me happy - December 9th 2014, 02:41 PM

Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling this way. From reading your post, I believe you have quite a few solutions that can help solve this problem. Even though shopping is a fun hobby, it might not be the best way in coping if you have financial difficulties. Have you ever considered finding a different hobby such as playing a sport or volunteering? Do you enjoy reading, watching tv/movies? I'm sure there's other things you enjoy doing other than shopping.

Have you ever thought about getting a job? By getting a job, you'll have your own money to spend and you won't have to feel guilty about spending your parents' money. Depending on your school schedule and extracirricular activities, you could get a part-time job somewhere. You could even work at the mall since you enjoy going there.

But I agree with what the user above has said about talking to someone about this and possibly getting help from a counselor or a therapist. I know it sounds scary but it does benefit you in the long run.

Hope this helps and wish you all the very best!

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tommy1 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: only shopping makes me happy - December 10th 2014, 04:28 AM

Welcome to the forum. I think you should start to go out and meet other or try to find a job so can have money to spend if you want to go anywhere or shopping

Closed Thread