TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Manjima Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Manjima / Mon

addicted to music and a celebrity!!! - May 14th 2015, 03:25 PM

ok so here is the thing...i need to listen to music all the time...i constantly need something to listen to..when i sit down to study after about 1 .5 hours..i keep thinking when i will turn on the computer and listen to music and go to youtube..i have a crush on this singer from a really popular band...i dont know im just obsessed with him..its been almost a year..normally my crushes go away fast...and i dont think its just an infatuation or crush because im just not attracted to his looks but he has a personality of gold he is just too innocent and pure for this world and im not exaggerating a bit!! but i just feel so happy when i see him on youtube...his dimples give me life <3 its crazy but i know i wont marry anyone unless i love him more than i love this person right now who unfortunately happens to be a celebrity...he is everything i look for in a man...he has an amazing voice..heavenly hair and angelic smile...he is just a beautiful person and he is the definition of a gentleman...you know i dont want to get rid of this crush because it keeps me safe from the bad guys in real life..i have been hurt too much in the past.. anyways i need to concentrate on my studies and not go on youtube and stare at him all the time..also my summer holidays are starting and i have my first terminal exams coming up after that so i need to be super productive during my 4 weeks holidays..i have already made a pretty good schedule...but i just get too bored of studying after studying for 1.5 hours..how do i discipline myself to not go on youtube or listen to music while im studying...so i have scheduled 9 hours of studying total..5 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening and kept the sundays off..will it be enough?? thanks for reading ..this was long..any help would be appreciated

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: Kav

Re: addicted to music and a celebrity!!! - May 15th 2015, 06:36 AM

Hey Manjima,

You remind me of my teen years when I was so obsessed with football and I hardly did anything productive. Oh wait, I am still obsessed with football, still follow the same team but I somehow manage to be productive. Being addicted to a celebrity or to music is not really bad, but it's important to not let it affect our regular lives, especially our studies.

It seems like you have a pretty good schedule for your studies and nine hours a day leave you enough free time to listen to music. I don't know how your study pattern works, but I usually study for 2 hours at a stretch and then take 15-30 minutes off to go do what I want. If this method works for you, you could try it. The 15-30 minutes of music can work as a reward for studying seriously. If you happen to get distracted or do not manage to complete the decide amount of studies in said time, you do not get that break. Also, since you are studying for serious examinations you could ask your parents to monitor your computer/YouTube usage.

This actually needs a lot of self control in the beginning because managing 2 hours without getting distracted is sometimes hard. But you will get used to it soon. Also, let the music break in between serve as a motivation for you when you are studying.
Otherwise you are fine. I am 20 and I still compare guys to celebrities. PM me if you need to talk or need study tips. I have appeared for the same exams a few years back!

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: addicted to music and a celebrity!!! - May 28th 2015, 10:47 PM

I was going to suggest using music as a reward for accomplishing what you set out to that day! Maybe study for an hour, watch youtube for 15 minutes, and repeat. If you need to use music to study, like me, maybe face away from the computer while music is playing so you don't get tempted to stare and get distracted! Being addicted to music isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially compared to other things you could be addicted to. Just make sure it isn't negatively impacting your day to day life. If you can multitask effectively whilst listening to music, you're just fine!

As far as hacing a celebrity crush, having one is completely natural. They are also great people to look up to a lot of the time. It's important to put things into perspective though. The likely-hood of you ending up with this celeb is pretty low, and isn't worth putting over potentially amazing guys. When you find the right guy, he will totally be better than your celeb crush. You will know this, and it won't be a question. You're young, celebrity crushes are completely justified and normal.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
renai. Offline
inkslinger
Not a n00b

Name: reh-nay

Re: addicted to music and a celebrity!!! - May 29th 2015, 11:05 PM

Hey there!

I am literally almost exactly the same. I agree with Willow. Using music as a reward is a really good idea. As long as you can manage music and the real world, you're in high cotton.

Tons of people have celebrity crush. There's something called fanfiction, and it's where you write a story about celebrities/artists/tv shows/books etc. There are several good websites to find these stories such as Mibba, Fanfiction.net, livejournal, and even tumblr. These stories helped me find an outlet for all the frustration and absolute giddy joy that I get from my celebrity crushes. I'd recommend checking that out

- renai.

it's just a spark, but it's enough to keep me going. and when it's dark out, no one's around, it keeps glowing.

the truth hurts but it hasn't stung enough to stop me.

see, you're just wasted and thinking 'bout the past again, darling, you'll be okay.

You are altogether beautiful, my darling, beautiful in every way. - song of songs 4:7

Closed Thread