TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   New Medicine Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t141883-new-medicine-addiction/)

Catlady November 19th 2015 08:26 PM

New Medicine Addiction

So I'm sick and my doctor prescribed me pain medication and I'm in A LOT of pain. But Is there a chance I will get addicted to it? I have never taken OxyContin before... I hear you can easily get addicted to it. So I don't know anything about it. Just I tend to develop addictions to stuff easily so I'm worried. Should I be worried about this? Should I just not take it?

Kate* November 20th 2015 01:03 AM

Re: New Medicine Addiction

If you need the medication, you should take it or if you're concerned about becoming addicted, you can talk to your doctor about other non-addictive options. If you do take it, follow the instructions and dosing information and call your doctor if you find yourself taking more or more often than that.

Catlady November 20th 2015 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate* (Post 1211930)
If you need the medication, you should take it or if you're concerned about becoming addicted, you can talk to your doctor about other non-addictive options. If you do take it, follow the instructions and dosing information and call your doctor if you find yourself taking more or more often than that.

Thank you! I just took it so we should see. I followed all the instructions and my parents have the medication and are giving it to me when I need it so hopefully that helps! :)

Proud90sKid November 20th 2015 02:34 AM

Addiction is not a well defined concept. Anyone who takes oxycontin for an extended period of time- medically or not- will develop physical dependence and maybe even a psychological craving when stopping. Its just the nature of opioids. Not only can they cause withdrawal when stopping, but they work by activating beta-endorphin receptors in the brain--which can produce feelings of pleasure. So you are right in saying that there is a risk of addiction even for medical use.

But as far as full blown addiction- you'd need to take it for a long enough time and you'd have to probably start abusing it/start trying to get higher doses. It seems that since you are concerned about not getting addicted- then that automatically puts you into a lower risk group---much lower than the people who are taking it to get high; because for one, you are being cautious about it.

Catlady November 20th 2015 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proud90sKid (Post 1211948)
Addiction is not a well defined concept. Anyone who takes oxycontin for an extended period of time- medically or not- will develop physical dependence and maybe even a psychological craving when stopping. Its just the nature of opioids. Not only can they cause withdrawal when stopping, but they work by activating beta-endorphin receptors in the brain--which can produce feelings of pleasure. So you are right in saying that there is a risk of addiction even for medical use.

But as far as full blown addiction- you'd need to take it for a long enough time and you'd have to probably start abusing it/start trying to get higher doses. It seems that since you are concerned about not getting addicted- then that automatically puts you into a lower risk group---much lower than the people who are taking it to get high; because for one, you are being cautious about it.

Ohhhh ok, thank you for really explaining this to me. I have never taken it before and so I really didn't know how it worked. Just that it was addictive. I definitely don't want to develop an addiction that's why I wanted to see how high the risk of having one was before I took it. Thank you again! :)