TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
im just a dead man walking
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

cant fucking stop buying keys aah this is so fucking annoying - January 12th 2016, 07:47 PM

haaaa ok i just cant stop buying keys this weekend im gonna buy all the keys i can with 70 euros i can buy a lot of other things with that but i can not stop pleas help

it takes a strong man to deny whats right in front of him and if the truth is undeniable you create your own

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: cant fucking stop buying keys aah this is so fucking annoying - January 12th 2016, 10:30 PM

Remove your payment details from steam

There's nothing wrong with buying new games every once in a while but you probably don't want to blow that much money on it. Look through your older games and see if you can get really involved in them again. Or there's places you can buy like 10 random game keys for 1 (obviously not like popular new games, but games) so if you like the thrill of buying, that's a good way to get it for cheaper.

Take as long as you need.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: cant fucking stop buying keys aah this is so fucking annoying - January 13th 2016, 06:35 AM

i can buy all the new games i want but just knowing i can get a knife or any other high priced skin i have no credit card linked to my steam account i just buy gift cards and redeem the code this is how i get money on my account

it takes a strong man to deny whats right in front of him and if the truth is undeniable you create your own

(#4 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: cant fucking stop buying keys aah this is so fucking annoying - January 13th 2016, 04:44 PM

ooh wanted to ad something i can just buy a knife and make profit but just gambling makes me buying keys

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: cant fucking stop buying keys aah this is so fucking annoying - January 13th 2016, 10:28 PM

I thought you meant house keys at first. maybe ask someone to change your password on steam and not like tell you what the password is that way you cant buy more ?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Everly

Re: cant fucking stop buying keys aah this is so fucking annoying - January 13th 2016, 11:44 PM

You can stop by identifying the reasons why you have your compulsions to buy keys. Then find strategies which would remind you that whatever you may be feeling, buying keys will not solve the root problem. The root problem is your desire to fill an inner void. Buying keys is merely an outlet. It's a symptom. Sure, buying keys is relatively harmless when compared to other things you could be buying. But think about it - if you keep feeding into your desires, then the problem will escalate. Addiction is progressive. If you don't nip it in the bud/ keep yourself in check, then eventually, your addiction to buying keys will lead to a much, much more harmful and potentially deadly addiction. It may sound stupid, and you may be thinking, "I'm only buying keys. That doesn't mean that I'll start doing smack." It doesn't matter what the object or substance is. Addiction is still addiction. The mind-set is the same regardless of what the addiction is to. If you don't address your issues or proactively work towards resolving them, then the problem will only get worse. Soon, buying keys will no longer give you the satisfaction you crave. You'll move onto other things. The progression of addiction may be over days or years - but it is always downhill. As a recovering addict, I know first-hand. I had to learn these things the hard way. You don't have to. If you feel as if seeking out the advice of your peers isn't effective enough to stop the problem, then I would suggest to seek outside help from a therapist or psychiatrist. There is no shame in someone admitting they have a problem and getting help for it. The shame is in not doing anything about your problem and allowing it to continue.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: cant fucking stop buying keys aah this is so fucking annoying - January 14th 2016, 07:08 AM

if i let someone change my password all my games are gone and lady to your post buying keys is boring nothing fun at all but just knowing i could get a knife this is how valve makes money my mom and my uncle knows about it my uncle plays cs go as well he says its a waste of money but i dont know what im buying to morrow i just have 70 euros so i can buy 28 key 28 chances for a knife or im buying one straight up it may will be cheaper so what sud i do i will spend my money anynway but what do you guys think is cheaper

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: cant fucking stop buying keys aah this is so fucking annoying - January 14th 2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMA on teenhelp View Post
if i let someone change my password all my games are gone and lady to your post buying keys is boring nothing fun at all but just knowing i could get a knife this is how valve makes money my mom and my uncle knows about it my uncle plays cs go as well he says its a waste of money but i dont know what im buying to morrow i just have 70 euros so i can buy 28 key 28 chances for a knife or im buying one straight up it may will be cheaper so what sud i do i will spend my money anynway but what do you guys think is cheaper
When you ask, "what do you guys think is cheaper," you're essentially asking us to co-sign your bullshit. Spending money can be an addiction. Buying unnecessary things can be an addiction. You are exhibiting addictive behaviors. It is unhealthy to ask which object(s) you should buy. It's like asking "Which is cheaper? Crack or heroin? I can't decide what to buy." It's the same concept.
Like I said earlier, it does not matter what the object or substance is. The outlet can be keys, knives, fast food, or even dope. It doesn't matter. Addiction is addiction.

Do you want help in what you should do about your addiction? Or are you asking us which is the better way to feed into your addictive behaviors?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: cant fucking stop buying keys aah this is so fucking annoying - January 14th 2016, 07:45 AM

Please read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addictive_behavior

Last edited by ladygodoftitsandwine; January 14th 2016 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Wrong url

(#10 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: cant fucking stop buying keys aah this is so fucking annoying - January 14th 2016, 08:04 AM

first its not bullshit i dont hate on stuff you like ok if that was the case just play call of duty and its not unnecessary i can say the same about girls buying a shit load of clothes and jewellery makeing profit is a good thing right but just dont fucking crack my stuff i like ok?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: cant fucking stop buying keys aah this is so fucking annoying - January 14th 2016, 08:07 AM

"co-sign your bullshit" is a saying frequently used in Narcotics Anonymous. I meant no offense by it. And it sounds like you're trying to justify your buying keys/spending money by comparing what you do to what others do. It's just an observation. This isn't a debate. I'm just trying to help you to be more aware of what you do.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: cant fucking stop buying keys aah this is so fucking annoying - January 14th 2016, 08:25 AM

saying bullshit sounds to me like hateing but if you dont mean it that way i will take every thing back and apologize for it

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: cant fucking stop buying keys aah this is so fucking annoying - January 14th 2016, 08:48 AM

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you interpret it. It was not "hating." Thank you, I appreciate the apology. No worries!
Keep in mind that I would not be spending my time on here if I didn't want to help. I have no reason to be hating on anyone.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: cant fucking stop buying keys aah this is so fucking annoying - January 21st 2016, 01:12 PM

Hey
You posted this in addictive behaviours, meaning that I think there is some part of you that wants to stop doing this. You say you buy gift cards. Maybe when you go out, you could leave your wallet at home, or only take the money you need (like bus fare) so that even when you are tempted to buy gift cards for steam you have no way to. Another suggestion is to think of all the other things you could buy with the money instead. Perhaps start a savings account, and save up for something big that you want. That way you have a goal to aim for, and you're not spending money on keys. Or, set up a budget and allocate a small amount of money you are allowed to spend on keys, and over the next few weeks try and make that smaller and smaller, so you're buying fewer and fewer keys.
Take care

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

Closed Thread