TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Watercolours Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,328, Level: 9 Points: 4,328, Level: 9 Points: 4,328, Level: 9

Alcohol poisoning question - May 12th 2016, 06:35 AM

Hi! I am new to this site so please forgive me if I may seem awkward.

Anyway, I am curious about how much do you actually have to drink till you get alcohol poisoning. Like the type that you can die of, not a mild one. I usually drink quite a lot very fast and my friend warned me that I have a bigger chance of getting alcohol poisoning and I don't want that but I don't really want to drink slow either as it seems boring. I am getting together with a few friends tomorrow as my parents will be out of town for a few days and we're planning to drink and I really want to drink till I forget everything (having some problems in life and I don't wanna deal with it). If anyone has ever had experiences or knows someone who got alcohol poisoning, please do tell me about it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Re: Alcohol poisoning question - May 12th 2016, 06:03 PM

Depends on body weight and level of tolerance to alcohol. [Edited] Hard alcohol is easier to get alcohol poisoning from. So drinking a lot of say vodka really fast before you even feel drunk is often what causes it

Ive had similar experiences and it usually was hard alcohol, not beer or wine

Last edited by MsNobleEleanor; May 13th 2016 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Goes against the CoC to mention unsafe ways to use alcohol
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34

Re: Alcohol poisoning question - May 13th 2016, 01:13 AM

Welcome to TeenHelp Watercolours, I am glad you reached out to us.

Here at TeenHelp you don't encourage dangerous behaviours or give advice on how to harm yourself, it goes against our CoC. We can't explain how much alcohol you need to drink to harm yourself with.

Your profile says you are 15 years old and I am not sure where you are from but in most countries the legal age to drink is either 18, 19, 21, 25, etc., to drink alcohol.

I can understand that numbing the emotional pain you are experiencing may seem to help but you will only feel worse after. Do you see a therapist or a counselor, talking about how you are feeling can be very beneficial.

TeenHelp has many ways where you can receive the support you need if you are in need of support, you can vent, chat to one of our volunteers or use our HelpLink System, LiveHelp, or Chat Room. These options are great ways to receive some support.

HelpLink is where you can write anything you feel comfortable and our volunteers will respond with support and advice. This option is private, only our volunteer staff have access to your requests.

LiveHelp is found at the top of TeenHelp below the banner. When it's online you can chat one-on-one with one of our volunteers.

Chat Room is a place where you can hangout and chat with others. You can also ask for support and advice when LiveHelp isn't online. If you see someone in either green or red you can message them to talk to them.

If you feel comfortable in talking more about what is going on for you, you can reach out to us or you can always write another thread in our forums. Feel free to PM (Private Message) me if you would like to chat.

Stay strong.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: Alcohol poisoning question - May 15th 2016, 08:31 PM

Hey

I'm an alcoholic and when I was drinking a lot, I had alcohol poisoning and I can tell you it's nasty. But like said we're not allowed to say how much it would take alcohol it would take to get alcohol poisoning however, I am wondering whether you drink because you enjoy it or because it's a social thing or even an addiction. If it's an addiction then maybe you could tell us a little more and it might be worth seeking help for it. If it's for social reasons etc then I suggest you try and drink less. There are so many better and healthier ways to deal with issues that are going on for you instead of drinking.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot them at us. We're here to try and help.

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22

Re: Alcohol poisoning question - May 15th 2016, 08:39 PM

There is no "mild" kind of alcohol poisoning. I understand wanting to feel the effects quickly but downing as many shots as you can is extremely dangerous and your friend is right, you are at a much higher risk of alcohol poisoning. If you're drinking until you forget everything, you're already drinking too much. If you're drinking until you pass out, especially alone, you're increasing your chances of choking to death on your own vomit and trust me it isn't fun. There were multiple people at my university who died from alcohol poisoning, and sometimes they were with people but their friends were too afraid of getting in trouble to get them help or they thought their friend seemed fine.

There was someone at my school who was with friends and seemed fine when everyone started "blacking out" and went to bed, they woke up to a dead body. She had drank less than she normally did, but she still got alcohol poisoning and died. It's not worth the risk. Jessie has also given some great advice.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
Closed Thread