TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kendall2000 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,926, Level: 9 Points: 3,926, Level: 9 Points: 3,926, Level: 9

My internet addiction is ruining my life - November 5th 2016, 01:53 PM

I can't do anything other than use the internet. I can't concentrate in class and now that I'm taking difficult A-level courses I need to study but I always tell myself that I can do it later and everything will be ok. But it's been already 3 years that I've been like this and I want to get into a good university because i know that I'm capable but I just can't bring myself to study or do anything else. And I want to live a life that can make me happy instead of just imagining it while I keep being addicted to the internet. I need help but I don't know what to do.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: My internet addiction is ruining my life - November 5th 2016, 03:44 PM

Is the internet your real problem? Or are there other problems in your life, such as having a lot of anxiety about school or the future, domestic abuse problems at home, depression etc., that you use the internet to escape from? I think that that's an important thing to make note of because I think it'll be a big part of how you stop using the internet as an escapism. A lot of us use something (whether it's drugs, food, the internet, etc) to get away from the things that cause us anxiety, depression or other strong negative emotions in life and identifying and addressing those emotions would go a long way to being able to focus on other things.

Maybe you can set small goals like doing your homework in a room without a lap top or cell phone for 30 minutes. You can set a timer on your phone in the other room and when it goes off, you're allowed to go check your phone. I understand that it's basically impossible to turn the internet off for a lot of ohmework these days - so much homework is on the computer and at that point it's basically a matter of self-restraint to not click on the internet. But you can practice it with homework that doesn't involve a computer, like you can read the novel you have to read for your literature class or something like that.

You can also try doing things that don't involve the internet - like go for a 30 minute walk everyday and leave your phone at home.

It'll probably be hard and you can start small with 30 minute increments while you also try to address the things that are causing you to use the Internet as an escape method

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kendall2000 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,926, Level: 9 Points: 3,926, Level: 9 Points: 3,926, Level: 9

Re: My internet addiction is ruining my life - November 5th 2016, 04:48 PM

I do have anxiety and OCD and have been prescribed meds to deal with it but I just feel like nothing in my life is going how it's supposed to. My grades are suffering and my addictive behavior constantly interferes with my life and now my parents are mad at me. My brother ignores me because he's super social and I have social phobia and even though I have friends I don't have any emotional attachment to them. And you are right I probably am using the internet as an escape and I guess it's just hard to keep on living like this when there is nothing in my life that makes happy at the moment.
Thank you for your advice though I'll try the 30 minutes thing today.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34

Re: My internet addiction is ruining my life - November 11th 2016, 02:14 PM

Hello there and welcome to TeenHelp

Instead of thinking about the internet as a bad thing to be using a lot, in fact the internet is a valuable tool in life and many careers revolve around using a computer. It becomes a problem when it starts to interfere with your daily activities, including homework and school work.

Sometimes when there are tough things going on in our life we tend to withdrawal and focus on something that is easier to handle. Do you have a school counselor or tutor at school? These options may help you, someone to talk to and someone you can go to for extra guidance in pushing your grades up. They can work with you. Some classes may allow you to use your computer to do assignments, others may not require that.

Do you learn using your computer? If so it can be integrated into your learning. What I mean by this is you can type out class notes in a document, research topics, videos, etc., and used as a study tool.

Do you see anyone like a counselor or therapist about your feelings and thoughts around what you are struggling with the most? It might be helpful to be able to talk to someone on how you are feeling.

Let us know how things are going for you.
Take care.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread