TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Prescription Med Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t149917-prescription-med-addiction/)

.Brittany. February 11th 2017 01:38 AM

Prescription Med Addiction

So, a few months ago, I was taken off a med that was crucial to help me sleep. I have very bad insomnia, and when I'm in a manic phase, well, there's no chance on me sleeping. So my doctor gave me sleeping pills to take on nights that I work so that I can actually get some sleep before I go to work the next day.

It started off taking them every night I work, then 4-5 times a week, then most nights, and now it's at taking them every single night. This also started with my as needed Ativan. I'm at the point where I feel like I need to take them in order to sleep, but sometimes even when I take them I can't sleep.. I hope this makes sense.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help this?

del677 February 18th 2017 05:58 AM

Re: Prescription Med Addiction

I haven't any suggestions, only my own experience to offer.

I used to take ativan and a sleeping pill (Lunesta) together, because it always worked.

Then I decided it was a bad idea to mix them, because the combo always worked, perhaps a little too well.

Also someone close to me accidentally died mixing too many medications together, that probably shouldn't have been taken together. I'm sure that has altered my opinion on mixing meds.

I learned to stay completely away from caffeine and chocolate, as even a little bit during the day to help keep me awake just ruined my chances of sleeping that night, a which made me even more tired the next day, making me want more caffeine to stay awake, etc.

I don't know of anything that can deal with a manic phase.

I do believe in the power of the placebo. I think they should market those things. ;) I'm wondering if maybe the part of the brain that knows it's a placebo, isn't the part of the brain I want to trick, then maybe I can trick my brain anyway.

Maybe like Pavlov's dogs, I could ring a bell just before going to bed, and maybe eventually my brain will learn to get tired when I ring that bell. Or substitute any ritual for bell.

Briana March 4th 2017 01:59 PM

Ativan is a controlled substance and it's very easy to become addicted to it, both mentally and physically. And when we become mentally addicted to a medication, it stops working. Ativan is to be taken as needed for a reason. It can be easily abused. I have OD'ed on ativan in the past, it's not a fun feeling. But, what I'm getting at is the more you take it, the less it will work properly. If you are taking it everyday, it won't be doing it's job. You have to force yourself, the days you don't work, don't take it, let your body detox for it ava start fresh. It's not easy, but it works. The days I don't work, I don't take my sleeping meds...But if you keep taking the ativan every single day...when you really need it, it won't be beneficial. Make sense?

.Brittany. March 9th 2017 01:13 AM

Hey guys,

Thank you both for your replies. I've actually been able to start slowing down on the Ativan. I'm only taking it on nights that I work again, however I still am taking my sleeping pill every night. Even with the sleeping pill though I'm only getting 6 hours a night, which means I'd be scared to see how much I'd sleep without it xD

Thanks again guys <3