TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Tattoo Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t15411-tattoo-addiction/)

i_am_me_again May 26th 2009 11:03 AM

Tattoo Addiction

Is it possible to have a tattoo addiction. I have 1, then 4 weeks later I start saving for my next one.

Plus I have my buying impulses. But...Im just in the shits!

eunoia May 26th 2009 11:52 AM

Re: Tattoo Addiction

I reckon it's possible to be psychologically addicted to many (most? all?) things. Behaviors are certainly addictive (hence this new forum, eh? :p), so getting tattoos could be an addictive behavior for you.

Do you feel getting tattoos is something you must do or cannot control?

Melody Pond May 26th 2009 11:57 AM

A lot of people get addicted to the feeling of getting the tattoo.

When my Mum got hers the tattoo artist said as she was leaving. "You'll be back, those things are addictive"
but she hated the pain and the feeling of the tattoo and didn't go back for anymore tattoos, she wouldn't even go back for the colour touch up of her first tattoo.

I look at that in the same way as alcohol addictions, some people love the buzz and the feeling you get from drinking ad want to drink again, others hate it and never drink again.

I do definitely think it is possible to become addicted to tattoos.

Lottie May 26th 2009 12:01 PM

Tattoo addictions are common. It's the addiction to the pain you're getting from the tattoo itself. I've become addicted to them. I've got 6 tattoos and I'm not even 20 yet...and I plan to get more. It's best if you try to resist the temptation to get your second one because it'll make it easier to resist getting another one done in the future.

MechanicGodCreation May 26th 2009 08:03 PM

I definately see what you're saying. I have the same problem, but I became a tattoo artist myself and now its all good, I get my fix from seeing other people get it done haha.

Unless this is really affecting your life, financially or otherwise, then theres nothing to worry about, I feel. But if you wish to control it, maybe put money away so you cant touch it, it would help with all impulsive buying.

-Dylan

soul May 28th 2009 05:16 PM

Hey,

I certainly believe that getting tattoos could be psychologically addicting. It might be a good idea to limit yourself or set out a certain about of time you'll have to think of a new tattoo idea before letting yourself get it. After all tattoos are pretty much permanent and you want to make sure every new design is something you want. You can be in control of this if you try. Saying you're addicted to something is no excuse not to try and resist it. It's nice to treat yourself to the things you want and save up for those special things. However, tattoos are not the only thing worth spending your money on. How about for the next couple of months you save for something other than a tattoo. It may be a smallish start but I think it might help open your eyes to the other things you could be spending your money on. Is there anything you could think of that you'd like to save up for? You could put the money towards going on a vacation, starting a new hobby, or anything else you think you might like. Just make sure what you're saving for is healthy. What about tattoos do you find addicting? I believe that any addiction is overcome able. However, the addict themselves has to want recovery. Do you feel as though you want/are ready for recovery? If you don't feel this way now those feelings can always change. Just because you might not be ready to be fully recovered doesn't give you the excuse not to try and get better at all. Any addiction can be difficult and life consuming. If you ever fee like you want to talk to anyone about what you're going through I am here for you. Take care and hang in there.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

lvpeyton June 1st 2009 04:47 PM

i think it is the same thing as piercings. i got my nose pierced and from there i wanted my lip, my industrial, my belly. i got pretty much everything done and then i took everything out except my nose. lol. i kinda just liked the pain and the adrendaline i felt before.

stina June 2nd 2009 01:21 AM

I guess so.

I have a piercing addiction (in a way). When things are going wrong, and I feel so out of control, I randomly just go get something pierced. Not sure if i'd call mine an addiction though.

Up to 13 in the past 3 years now.

i_am_me_again June 2nd 2009 08:34 PM

Im getting my tattoo done next week :D